lawn care success

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by srblaze74, Jun 20, 2006.

1. srblaze74

srblaze74 LawnSite Member

I am getting ready to start a lawncare biz next year , I have done the work for years. I am not really to knowledgeable about the buissness side of it. I was looking at the lawncare success site and was wondering if anyone has used that before and could give me more info.

Thank You Steve

2. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

dont start a company if you do not know how to run a business first or there is a good chance you will regret it.....

work with another LCO... work with any family member in any field who is a successful entrepeneur to learn how to deal with customer service and dealing with finances.... maybe take some college courses on business

or you can gradually just jump into it part time for a couple years and see if you can handle the pressure or are a natural but you dont sound to confident

3. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I say if you can add, subtract and write things down in a log, you are pretty much good to go.

Day 1....Go to x amount of places
    Day 2 Go to y amount of places

Home A owes x amount of dollars
    Home B paid x amount of dollars

Thats pretty much the job for now.

4. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

Wow! Is that all it takes? Because I've been running my business a lot more efficiently and thorough and smarter then that. So you're telling me that you don't need any business management skills, organizational skills, customer relation skills......nothing like that to build a successful, growing business?

5. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

your kidding right?!

6. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

2 + 2 is 4

7. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

Well look at that!! You my friend are well on your way to enjoying many years of success and fortune! You have passed the test! Congrats!!! :D

8. marionlandscape

marionlandscape LawnSite Member

more like f = f1f2 / (f1 + f2 - f1f2) D T2xD Q2x / l

9. srblaze74

srblaze74 LawnSite Member

Maybe I should clarify , I have a full time job already . This will be part time for me, I wont have any employees and very little overhead I want to start off slowly and let things build as I learn more. I have worked with a couple different people and have paid attention to what I could learn from them. What I need is help with some of the tax issues that I might face , the most economical way to get my company name on the radar things like this you don't see day to day working with clients.

10. Cahsking

Cahsking LawnSite Member

SRBlaze....In Ohio, you only need to worry about a vendor lic. when your sales exceed $5000. Check with your county, and city branches on how taxes should go. I went to http://www.sos.state.oh.us/ an browsed around for a couple of weeks. I found a lot of good info. As far as starting out and being noticed...First learn your overhead, cause you could cheat yourself big time. Second work on getting your business name registered, it is form 534, and cost about $50. From there you will have a name to put on your advertisements.
    Look into groups like Ohio Nursery and Landscape Assoc. I know your going to be a one man crew, but you'd be surprised how much you learn, and people you meet. Fourth, look professional!! Get a couple Dickie outfits, and you will be noticed where ever you show up. Last, know your niche. If your good at one thing advertise that.