lawn Care Tips for anyone in business

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ron, Feb 3, 2001.

1. ron

ron LawnSite Senior Member

Question I live in Port Orange Florida and have mt own lawn care business I have been doing this for about 9 months I am Licensed and Insured and have only 20 accounts plus 1 commerical account business is starting to pick up I have been placing fliers around the neighbor hoods etc.Well I am seeking info on anything on how to run a lawn care business in florida I have been in Law-enforcement for 16 years and still working full time with the state as a correctional officer plus working part time in this business any info would be great. I have also build a web site http://homestead.juno.com/skyler72/ron.html
    if any one wants to look at it thanks

2. Starling Lawn

Starling Lawn LawnSite Member

3. ron

thanks Dave for the info I will check this out.

4. ron

Hey Dave can you give me some info on pricing lawn jobs,
    I have been charging $20.00 for regular size lots for the works. per cut, most of my 20 clients pay $55.00 per month do do there lawn care and the ones who live on corner lots pay $65.00 per month is this a fair price...

5. Starling Lawn

Ron,you are underpaying yourself.We don`t unload for less than 30.00.Up in jax,most guys start at 25,but we do upscale stuff.What services are you offering?The more you offer,the more you charge.
    Dave

6. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Ron,

If you ever want to leave your day job the first thing to do is get rid of that $10.00 starting price! If you start with a price like that you'll have a hard time raising it down the road when your cost's go up, and they will!

Second, start reading all of the information you can. Do searches on this forum for trade magazines, there are plenty available and they are free.

You can get a pretty good education by reading these posts and older ones. Just about every subjuect has been covered that can be covered so sit down and start reading!

7. Starling Lawn

Homer is right.HE BE THE MAN!
    dAVE

8. ron

WOW Thanks for the info Well my Motto Is NO JOB IS TOO BIG OR SMALL WE DO IT ALL.
    The reason I have Lawns cut starting out at $10.00 is because it is a eye catcher.Last week I did a Sod job for a hotel in Daytona Beach Shores. I made $440.00 for laying one pallet of Sod and three yards of Red Mulch. I also do odd jobs if the customer wants something done around there house I will do it my cost for labor is $40.00 per hour with min one hour.

9. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

OK Ron,

Just wanted to make sure you knew the rules! :)

Sounds like we may need some advice from you, one pallet!

I don't know about being da man, just havin' too much fun here while the grass is brown and the depression is setting in and the money is tight and the bills are piling up and the kids need shoes and the dogs out of food and them stupid gears in my head are going all the time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe it's time to seek help? :confused:

10. ron

HeyHomer
    I am confused did I charge too much for the job if so they really liked my job and they want me to come back after the special events here in Daytona to do it all over again..