Lawn care truck setup shows

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by franniedog, Jan 11, 2005.

1. franniedog

franniedog LawnSite Member

I have been thinking that it would be real neat to have lawn care operations get together once a year in their indivdual local arears to display their different setups.You could make it like a one day affair with tailgating to eat ect.maybe you could even judge on the coolest,most effecient and best looking outfitts ect.I think it would be great to get ideas from one another and to get to know others from around the area.maybe others might think this is stupid but I for one would enjoy a day like that.I have been doing lawns for 24 years so something like this would breath some new life into my season.Just my thoughts,feel free to express yours.

2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Not a bad idea. When I see an outfit rolling down the road, the second thing I look at is the trailer and what kind of setup they have. Of course the first thing I look for is the name of the business.

3. MacPhersonlawn

MacPhersonlawn LawnSite Member

I would be concerned that only the CO's with "a good setup" would attend. I know there are many in my area with whom I just can't compete. I would not want to even try. Another idea is to have an annual "breakfast meeting" of local lawn/landscaping companies. Have a few speakers, conduct a few polls, etc. Maybe local dealers would sponsor so it could be free (or almost). Good marketing opportunity for them. I know in my area there is nothing like this. We must have almost a hundred co's in just this area. As a new guy in this business (2 years) I am always looking for opportunities to learn (thats why I'm at LawnSite.com).

4. franniedog

franniedog LawnSite Member

I hear what you are saying about only the best would attend.Maybe only the better ones would display but all could attend and walk around and gather insight on how to improve their given operations.I was pretty generic for over 20 years.This year I got my dream setup and I must say not a week went by that some Lco did not stop and ask questions.Somedays I was stopped more than once.If there was a place where you could walk and browse I think many people would really enjoy it.

5. N.H.BOY

N.H.BOY LawnSite Bronze Member

That sounds like a good idea as long as no one fights :dizzy: It a good idea too to compare lawn prices so you'll not get any lowballers. This "get together" might have to be done in the late fall season. Not much time during the rest of the year, maybe winter but it would have to be indoors. Good idea though

6. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

Mac,

If this could be done in local venues, I would invite only the best quality LCO's to show their setups and have the "show" open to anyone (including potential clients). This way, smaller LCO's can get ideas and advise from others who have proven themselves, and the public might get to see that this is a real industry, not just "Johnny down the street" mowing their lawn. I have been at this PT for 15 years and when I saw photos of ETW"s setup the other day I wanted to quit. Then I thought about it, someone else's setup may not be what's best for you or me. Maybe it's best to fit others "good Ideas" into our own best plan. Not everyone needs or wants 7 crews out there.

Here in Baltimore, the week after Thanksgiving the Towing industry has their national convention downtown. It is unbelievable what rolls in. Is very cool and very inspiring but not every one needs that much. -Paul

7. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

I like the idea, but here at least I don't think many would participate because they'd be too intimidated by the bigger guys.