Lawn Care Unions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobwright007, Mar 26, 2005.

1. bobwright007

bobwright007 LawnSite Member

I brought this up in another thread but nobody has replied to it.
    basically the idea is that if a home owner or a business owner wants a quality job done. Then they know they have to get somebody who belongs to the Lawn Care Association. And lawn care owners would have to be licensed and insured to be allowed in the association. Each year owners have to re-apply for membership and customers can send complaints to the association. I think this could keep low-ballers from low-balling at least with clients who want the job done right.

does anything like this exist?

what do you all think?

2. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

No way no how would I ever join some type of union, association, club, etc. I consider myself a professional and do quality work. We're reliable and dependable. I don't need some stupid arse sticker or my name in a book to state "I'm a professional cause I belong to an association that I have to pay dues to."

In case you aren't aware there is something already in place that customers use to tell people they have a bad LCO or one they highly recommend...it's called WORD OF MOUTH!

I don't see how a membership is going to stop 'lowballers' (I hate that term anyway...that has been beaten to death and then some). You are still going to have the customers that are going to want the 'lowballers' and not pay someone from the membership.

Sorry, couldn't disagree more with it. :sleeping:

3. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Something needs to happen, I just read an ad for front and back yards mowed $15.00////this is crazy, everyone will want this, I think if you were required to get a high dolllar insurance plan or something to weed these people out....not sure what to do????

4. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Lowballers and scrubs exist in every type of business. They're like roaches, for every one you see, there are 50 more you don't see. They have been around forever, and are not going anywhere anytime soon. Better get used to it.

5. Patrick.B

Patrick.B LawnSite Senior Member

A.Martinez we have a few i see in the ad in newspaper ...15 buck on up !! and i'm sure they the one living with there parents house ..

6. gunner27

gunner27 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

There are "lowballers" in every trade, painting, drywall, roofing, etc. I don't think a homeowner would care if a "lawn guy" was a union company or not. I sure as hell wouldn't hire a union painter to paint my house based on the fact he was union. It really does not that take that much skill or effort to start a lawn care company. The skill comes in being able to survive and thrive in a buisness that is very cut throat.

7. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Said it before....anybody with a pickup and a walk behind is in business ;)

8. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have to agree with MO GREEN, I saw a van at HD today, it had to be an early 80's Ford, trashed big time, wife noticed the back window broken out, I managed to get a look inside, 3= 21"s, a trimmer and a blower. We walked into HD and I head toward the equipment area, sure enough, spot the guy picking up some trimmer line...his looks matched his van...if that's what people want, go for it, don't cry when he is pissing on your shrubs in your back yard while mowing......

9. gunner27

gunner27 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

I don't understand why anyone would be concerned with an outfit like this. I mean really, what is the competiton? If a costumer picked the guy just described, would you really want them as a client? How starved for buisness are you?

10. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

There's a lot of complaining on this site about lowballers. It isn't all about price. Being able to sell has a lot to do with it. To me, getting grass cutting customers is like "shooting ducks in a barrel." Easy!

Maybe you complainers should take a sales course. Try the Dale Carnegie Sales Course. It will help you to understand how to sell. It will probably cost you $1200 to $1500, but you'll earn that back with what you learn.

Don't get mad at me... if you give up because somebody is offering ridiculously cheap service in your market area, then you just don't understand sales.

Grass cutting is so easy to sell. I've got a piece of junk truck that's worth about a 100 bucks too, and I have no plans to replace it. Maybe image matters, but I don't need it, because I can sell. Actually, my plate is full. I can't handle anymore work.

You complainers need to learn how to sell.