Lawn Care vs Landscaping Licensing

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by dlenz32, Dec 17, 2006.

1. dlenz32

dlenz32 LawnSite Member

:usflag: I'm starting my lawn care business officially in Jan '07 in RI. I've been doing my reading and research.....many thanks to this site.

Does anyone know the licensing regs in RI? I was on the govt website regarding business licenses and all I could find was "landscape architect."
    This required passing an exam or a college degree in that field blah, blah, blah.

This can't be the only way to start a small-part time lawn care business, can it?

I want to start out as an LLC. It would be myself and 2 others with approx 20-25 accts.

thanks in advance for your feedback....
  2. Allure

Allure LawnSite Senior Member

looks like there is some good info here.
    If you can't find what you need look for an email adress or phone # to call.
    It looks like you can register your business on line like i did in NJ.
    Good luck!

& No you do not need to be a landscape architect or have a degree to start a lawn care or landscaping business.
  3. Uponone605

Uponone605 LawnSite Member

I checked out that link and couldn't come up w/ anything online, but there are contact numbers.

Anyone else have any input? I was under the impression you didnt need a license for general lawn care:confused:
  4. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

My understanding (grew up in Cumberland, used to work in landscaping there) is that there is no contractor licensing requirement for general lawn care in RI.

That said, I'd recommend contacting the state Contractor's Registration Board. Website is

5. dlenz32

dlenz32 LawnSite Member

thanks for the input gents