1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

lawn care vs other types of work

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scag52inch, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Scag52inch

Scag52inch LawnSite Member

I am curious to see how this business stacks up against other businesses. For instance how much the average LCO makes compared to someone who is a general contractor or does remodeling work or something. Other types of work, it seems, have advantages over lawn care such as less down time,working year round etc. I myself didnt get into this business to make great money i just like the work. I know it is impossible to compare two types of work and come out with any type of exact figures, there are just to many variables involved but I thought it would be cool to see what everyone thinks.

Also curious to see if anyone has done consturuction work before such as home building and stuff like that.
  2. aries

aries LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Besides lawn care we do masonry work foundation's and general contracting taking jobs like addition's ect. and let me tell u if you think the lawn care business has headaches wait till you do work in costumers homes that will make someone go nut's profit is pretty good generally I make 20 to 25% on any job that I GC but I am getting pretty tired all the bull and concentrating more on the LCO side again less bull to deal with and I feel the money is good too!
  3. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

My buddies are plumber and a electrician. They charge $60 and $65 hour plus materials. Local welder here charges $75 hour. I see other LCO charge only $28 hour, makes you think sometimes.
  4. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

I have done all differant types of construction over the years. Last I was mainly doing remodle jobs. Got out of it because I feel I have better turn around, less overhead and need less working capitail to do mowing and landscaping. I'm making more money and enjoy it alot better. Plus I don't have to worry about deadlines and inspectors and all that other crap.
  5. Royalslover

Royalslover LawnSite Senior Member

The one bad thing(and god thing) about lawn work is that it is so easy to get started. Name one other business where you can buy a $5000 peice of equipment and make $60 an hour with it. It is also a sure income once you have the accounts. The best thing about it is 3 months off in the winter.
  6. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

7. FL&G

FL&G LawnSite Member
    from R.I.

I have been a machinist for 20 years. I started doing lawn maintenance in my off time about three years ago and this year I am going full time. I quit my job in the shop last week. It is a great feeling!! No supervisor breathing down my neck, Working outside, No threat of outsourcing, I really enjoy it and make a decent buck as well. And like the previous guy said, three months off in the winter.
  8. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Al, why the useless posts?
  9. Mowgli

Mowgli LawnSite Member

Inaddition to lawncare, i also do painting. when i go out to give my customer a bids, i base my bid on $40 per hour. interior keep me going in the Winter.
    Although, my paint job only came frome word of mouht.
  10. AssuredServicesCo

AssuredServicesCo LawnSite Member

If you mow grass it's not that profitable. If you do landscaping it is much more profitable. If you do brain surgery it's a little more profitable. I'm working up to the brain surgery part.