1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

lawn care vs snow removal

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tiedeman, Mar 6, 2005.

What do you make more money on?

Poll closed Apr 5, 2005.
  1. Snow Removal

2. Lawn Care

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

ok boys and girls another poll. I don't think that anybody has ever really discussed this before, but what do you make more money on, snow removal or lawn care (mowing) and why? Don't forget to vote.
  2. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC LawnSite Senior Member

I only offer snowblower service this year and it was not even close. When I get a plow next season, I will only do sub-work for my buddy. I see the crap he goes through with clients calling and whining why there place has not been done yet, they dont seem to care or relize other places come before certain other places, yada yada yada. I will sub out for him at $45/hr and be fine and dandy next year with no headaches.
  3. scagster

scagster LawnSite Member
    from n.ohio

we make 100-140 per hour per truck,there is no way i can make that much mowing, now fert and weed control is alot closer to snow and ice profits than mowing
  4. sgoalie23

sgoalie23 LawnSite Member

Sure $200 dollars an hour plowing sounds like a lot of money, but it's not a guaranteed service like lawn care. Here in CT we have had 11 "plowings". Where as lawn care is every week for 28-30 weeks. I am only talking about residential plowing though, not commercial. Commercial might change things a bit.
  5. scagster

scagster LawnSite Member
    from n.ohio

we are 100% commercial for snow 95% for lawn. we can make 75k in a good 4 month winter,have to agree though that lawns are way more steady
  6. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I voted for Lawn Care becuase there is no snow to plow in Alabama.
  7. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

scagater, how do you make 100-140/hr per truck? I'm moving in with you.LOL
    I do a lot of sub work, infact that is 90% of our work. But the company we sub from is one of the biggest snow removal co. in the entire NW of PA. and hes only making probably $55-$65/hr and giving us roughly half. I prefer lawn over snow its getting old (snowplowing) and I swear next year not another damn residential driveway again!!!!!!! tired of the whinning "when are you coming" or the "I'll need plowed out by 7am and no later" So all commercial with this one company next year. Thats awesome though if you can get what your getting.
  8. scagster

scagster LawnSite Member
    from n.ohio

im too old and been around too long to bs you guys,we do 12 apartmnt complexes, 6 large factories,one medical office complex and 2 mental retadation group homes and run three plow trucks, one salt truck and two subs and i promise you we make 100-140 per hour per truck
  9. aries

aries LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I second that scagster we have 3 commercial buildings 3 plow truck's 1 salter we get $120-130 per truck hr but that's not what I pay my sub's they get 60-70, either the company you work for is bs you or that is what you area pay's for snow removal I would look into other companies to see what they offer!
  10. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

From what I've heard, plowing and salting can make you much more than lawn care. I don't care. I don't like doing snow, don't really wanna do snow, and it wouldn't hurt me if I never did it again.