1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lawn Cigars..Don't smoke these!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by impactlandscaping, Nov 24, 2003.

1. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Just a quick question. Who charges extra for dog poop in the customer's yards? We changed our contracts last year because 75% of our customers have 1 to 4 dogs.I got tired of smelling dog poop in my trucks, on my guys , and on my expensive mowers. We reserve the right to clean the yard prior to mowing at $ 60.00 per hour, or to skip service that week, and make the customer responsible for high cut fees,etc. the following week. We also charge an "equipment cleaning fee" of $ 10.00 if it ends up in the tires too badly, or if it ends up on us. No one complained one bit, and some people are happy to pay an extra 30-60.00 per month in cleanup and equip. fees.You know, it's not like they don't know exactly what day we are mowing each week, and could sweep the yard for mines the day before. A little courtesy would be nice from some of these people, but we'll put up with it for the extra cash! Sorry had to get that outta my system.Curious to see the replies from everyone:D
  2. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

These people have lawn services because they don't want to work in their yards. That usually includes cleaning up after their pets. It doesn't come as any surprise that most leave the piles, but I agree with you, a little courtesy would be nice!
  3. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

I tell my clients if I have to pick up dog debris everytime I am there there is and additional 5 to 10 dollars on the bill. It is also in my contract, this goes for people who have ten minutes worth of kid toys to pick and move around.

4. A1 Grass

A1 Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I don't do poo.
  5. Black Water

Black Water LawnSite Senior Member

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Good one!
  6. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

money money money money.
    80 per hour. average is only 10-25 a cut though. I have only 2 persons with dogs but they are more than happy to pay to have it picked up.
  7. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm with ya there. I can deal with a little poop as long it is not too much, but there is no reason for toys to be laying all over the place, week after week (especially ones you can't see, like spoons and iron horseshoes)!(as Blades of Steel pointed out) That's when it really turns into lack of respect.:nono:
  8. Jlwnsrvce

Jlwnsrvce LawnSite Member

Got smacked in the face with it for the umm-teenth time the other day with the trimmer. As I normally do,I'll find something to scoop up a fresh load and smear it on their doorstep. Tenant came out today and questioned me about it. I told him that I stepped on it. He apologized,and said he will try the best he can to have it all picked up. Perhaps he will be thinking about picking up his pets cigars more so now. 99% percent of my properties are rentals & most tenants can care less. Picking up dog sh*% is part of the responsibility of owning a dog in my opinion.
  9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

There is a company called the Turdburglars that pick up the stuff. I'd drop their card.
  10. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

unless its everywhere....just go around it and watch out when your trimming:eek: