lawn client wonts a refund! am posting this for a friend.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ant, Aug 23, 2007.

1. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

It's been nearly 4 weeks since I terminated your services and since then you have not been to our development for another application at both of my neighbors The next time you come out walk my property on the front lawn and the side where you treated this past year. The reason for this being is that I am asking for a refund! Can you in good faith tell me that I got what I paid for? There are more than half a dozen different weeds growing in my front lawn and there are more weeds than grass on the side. I spent $3,000 seeding the side and another $2,000 with you.
    You might say that the seeder did not do a good job initially. However the lawn looked better on the side when you first started than it does today. i was planning on getting married on my property next year but that has all changed due to this situation. The front lawn is the worst in the whole development and I feel cheated. Hopefully we can work out a financial solution to this but I am confident that after you walk my property that in good faith you will feel the same way as me. I know that I would not be able to sleep at night thinking that I cheated my customers out of a meal or a bottle of wine that they did not like.

I also want to state that I am not blaming you for any burnt spots on the lawn and that my watering times were what you stated on your newsletter.
    i will post the details and the back ground on the lawn when he e mails it to me..

2. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

that's why you wait until the fall to seed. i don't know about up there, but down here it has been one of the worst summers in a long time. very dry and lots of lawns will be needing patch work come fall time.

sounds like this customer is really pissed and you should walk the lawn, make suggestions, and give them a deal...as for doing it all for free, i don't know about that.

also, sounds like the type of prick that would make sure you have some bad WOM out there if you don't compromise with him.

3. ant

got the details( I spent $3,000 seeding the side )

1. the lawn was seeded buy another contractor in may of 06(area that was seeded was a vacant lot full of weeds)
    2. my friend was taking care of the front and back lawn since march 2005 and added the side lawn late fall to late june.
    3. no pre m was applied the spring of 06 due to the seeding and the contractor was due back late summer of 06 to re-seed some areas.. he showed up and just broad-casted seed and after that the client told my friend that he needs that area added in the program.
    4. area was put on a program..one application in the fall of o6 and a start of a program in 07 which includes 1 lime,2 split apps of pre m (dimension), liquid broad leaf weed control with a fertilizer app.all by june 07.
    5. as of july there are large patches of crabgrass that came thru the bare spots that the contractor re-seeded and it never came up.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    6. quote "There are more than half a dozen different weeds growing in my front lawn " there are clover and creeping Charlie and it was to hot for my friend to treat and he was informed of that.
    total lawn is 58,000 sf and at 300.00 per application

contractor told me that since he started treating his lawn the client never went for the extras( aeration-seeding-insect control)

4. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

if he does indeed have weeds this late in season take care of them. Second, I would inform the customer that the seeding issues didnt seem to be properly done. While crabgrass will poke through in even dense lawns He should spray it out. As far as refund, not this late but would fix the problem with the weeds.

5. ant

he is not a client anymore. he gave my friend the boot.

6. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

Well that's easy then, he did not allow him to take care of his issues. I would in turn write a letter back saying I would be more than happy to spray the lawn at no additional charge if he refuses then I would say your friend did what he could to resolve the situation. No refund

7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Refund his money--he has crabgrass, creeping charlie, and clover--all should have been controlled. OR BETTER YET---sock on some Q4--it is late but it should take care of it all. Probably need two applications. It is perfectly normal for a serious crabgrass problem to require a two years to get good control. Much more if there are big bare spots. You need thick grass to compete with weeds and crabgrass.

Hot weather sounds like an excuse. Even if weather has been hot--there should have been a time in July when weed control could have been applied--Surge can be used up to 90 degrees. If the friend cannot get rid of clover--something's wrong--most homeowners can do that. Maybe it is time to move up to a better product, and use it at the maximum rate with wetting agent. Repeat in September and October as needed.

8. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds good to me. I would offer a resolution to the weeds, but no refund whatsoever. They canceled, not the lco.

9. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

No refund, but I would ensure satisfaction

10. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

all sales final and if you cant do app due to other companys creating problems why should the other guy have to pay for it!