1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lawn Company Franchise

Discussion in 'Franchising' started by Jody P, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Jody P

Jody P LawnSite Member

Just checked out a site called US Lawns out of Orlando Florida. They offer a Lawn Care franchise, investment around $50k. Anyone had any dealings with them and what could they offer for $50k.
  2. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow for $50k you could start your own huge company...what do they have that your can't get with $50k...plus they are gonna want part of your bottom line FOREVER! Heck give me $30K I will get you a biz plan, a decked out rig with all the equipment you need and phone support. Save your money! :hammerhead:
  3. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a franchise once for a service (window cleaning) all it did was make me bitter that I had to give up 35% and take orders. Sole Proprietership is the way to go.

If your in a service franchise deal you have to purchase (or at least they can pressure you to) their products. In the one I was in they also had lawn care franchises and maid care. There was a 100% turn over in the maid franchises in the year I was there. They are a legit company too, it's just that the franchise thing, unless its macdonalds or Starbucks, is a scam.

For lawncare you had to give up 20% but the president (not bush) was lowballing everything to get the jobs. He didn't have to do the work and if the franchisee quit he would just sell some other guy a franchise.

You will also (probably) have to sign a contract that if you quit the franchise you are not allowed to work in the industry for X number of years.
  4. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

You could start your buisness for half that and not have to give up any of your profits to some fat pig sitting in an office getting fatter and fatter off everone else.
  5. Jody P

Jody P LawnSite Member

I was just curious. I can purchase a ZTR, WBH, trim mower, and all the power tools I need plus a trailer for less than $15,000. Heck, I could even throw in a new truck and be around $30K. I sent off for their info pack just to see what they have to offer. It may be like the janitorial business where they sell you a package deal including accounts.
  6. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

Even if it came with accounts you don't want it...you can take $6k and have a REAL nice marketing campaigne and get as many accounts as you could handle!!!
  7. Collin

Collin LawnSite Member

That is hard to beleive. I just spent 8 on a WB and some hand tools.
  8. joe7588

joe7588 LawnSite Member

8k for a walkbehind, hope your kidding.
  9. lawnrangeralaska

lawnrangeralaska LawnSite Senior Member

You should save your money with marketing and market the accounts you want to be servicing! That way you come off as a company thats not for everyone!
  10. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

Agreed. I could buy 2 48s for that much.