Lawn Consulting

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Turf Manager, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Turf Manager

Turf Manager LawnSite Member

Has anyone offered consulting to your customers? A lot of people want to do their own work but don't how to go about it, type of fert.,weed control, soil testing etc. Any thoughts?

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I tried it for a little while, but I found it to be a waste of my time and day.

3. Ol'time Lawncare

Ol'time Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Ummm ...sir...i'm not being rude, but no i dont want to consult my customers. next thing i no they will be cutting there grass!

4. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

I'd say its a waste of time because the ones that really want the info ask at garden center or at the cooperative extension office. We have a master gardener here on TV every weekend telling them everything they need to know and he even gets a spot in the weekend news to prote his show.

5. tiedeman

from earth

that is exactly what I found out. There is a fine line of consulting, and help them out now and then

6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I get $45.00 to $50.00 for an evaluation consultation fee and tell any potential clients that when they call and say they just need me to look and tell them what needs to be done.

7. Turf Manager

Turf Manager LawnSite Member

I probally wasn't clear on my thread, I didn't mean the customers I maintain now. I was thinking about only people who like to talk to a pro about what to do with their lawn. Those master gardener don't know as much about turf as we do. I was thinking about the $40.00- 50.00 range. People will pay for knowledge.

8. tiedeman

from earth

this is my opinion on it, you are throwing away the possibility of potential work for yourself. That is why I stopped doing it for non-customers. You go in there making $40, but you lost a chance to make $1,200.

I had a similar thing happen to me about 4 years ago, and that is when I realized that I was no longer going to do it. This guy called me up, asked for advice on how to get his lawn back up and running. I came over, spent an hour with him, charged him $50. But when I left, I realized that I probably could have made around $3,000+ on the project.

9. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I don't think many would pay for that type of service, esp since they could get a lot of the info for free from their County Ag Office

10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

that and over the Internet too