1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lawn Crew?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by agrostis palustris, Aug 1, 2002.

1. agrostis palustris

agrostis palustris Banned

I am investigating taking on about 100 lawn customers next spring and am trying to figure out what my times would be for productivity as well as what my equipment expenses would be. I was hoping I might be able to get some help from anyone here who has experience with this sort of thing.

52 accounts take 2 guys 5 days to cut using 2 walk behinds.
    40 accounts take 2 guys 4 days to cut using 2 walk behinds.

The accounts are in a few different towns. The 40 are located within about 4 or 5 towns. The 52 accounts are located in 1 town however some of them have to be done 2x per week. MOST lawns are over 1 acre in size, and go up to about 10 acres in size. The smaller ones are for the most part in clumps of 4 or so. There are 3 relatively small commercial accounts in the mix.

I would like for 1 crew to be able to do this route within about 4 days. Is that possible? What equipment would I need? How many crew members?
  2. 10 accounts - 1 million accounts how can we tell or give info?

From the looks of what you wrote you need 2 crews for the equipment listed and could add a few to one of the crews.

To speed up production, would the use of 60" ZTR's fit? If they would you might consider them to speed up things, but you are still going to have to use 2 crews or you will be working 8 days a week in the spring.
  3. agrostis palustris

Riders would definatley work on these properties. I was hoping that a crew of about 4 - 5 could bang out all the houses in about 4 days.
  4. steve122

steve122 LawnSite Member

When do you have to decide? I would take the time ot inventory each property- making as detailed a sheet on each as possible (10 minute job for each), especially listing times for a 2, 3 or 4 man crew. 4 men aren't always going to do twice as much as 2 men. Add it up figuring times for 2, 3 or 4 man crews and see if your estimates answer your question. I agree with previous comment that ZTR's would really speed up the operation. We hardly ever get out the walkbehinds anymore. If you gear up for this are you sure you'll keep all of the accounts? You didn't say but this sounds like you're contemplating a buy out.
  5. wolfpacklawn

wolfpacklawn LawnSite Member

Crews of 4 or 5 are not very efficient on that many accounts. They are good for doing 2 or 3 large accounts a day. Too much wasted time traveling,loading, unloading etc. You will make more money if you can use two man crews. Why do you want to have only one large crew?

I don't think it can be done though. 100 accounts divided by 4 days is 25 per day. That is a little over 3 accounts per hour in an 8 hour day. With all the traveling time, unloading and loading. Then you are saying between 1 and 10 acres. One acre is a pretty good size lawn, 10 is huge. There is no possible way for you do this many accounts in 4 days. I really think you need to look at having two crews.
  6. agrostis palustris

Alright, thank you everyone. I was just hoping that by increasing crew size and machine productivity that I could cut down on how many crews were needed. I was hoping that 1 crew would be able to do it because like that only 1 truck would be needed and 1 trailer, and 1 crew to check on.
  7. Keep it at 2 crews of 2. This will be the most efficent way. Being able to be in 2 places at once.

4 guys on a crew will eat payroll fast and one will be standing around a lot at single places.

A crew of 3 should be able to do that in 6 days with the right equipment.

You will be the only one to figure out what that equipment list is.
  8. agrostis palustris

Thank you LawnGodFather. What is the preferred brand of ride on mower at this time? I have experience with the Turf Tigers and am not too happy with them. Also have experience with Lazer Z's and the same goes for them.
  9. Exmark Lazers.

Check on crews with Nextel 2 ways!!!
  10. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Exmark Lazers! WHATEVER you do, make sure you look at these bad boyz!
    Dixie Choppers, Walkers, Toro, Hustler, Scag, Great Dane, Gravely, & Ferris are also quality commercial mowers.