lawn customer called said that the application made her dog sick.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ant, May 16, 2001.

1. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

6 days after and application of stright fertilizer and spot spraying 4 patches of clover useing momentumm. the lawn customer called today and said that her dog came down with conjunctivitis ,she is at the vet now.
    what do you guys do .
    i offered msds sheets and was going to call them tonight when she gets home.
    ant

2. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

We are strictly orgainic now for that reason.

3. get rich

get rich LawnSite Member

wow !!! never had that one happen before.although i have heard of dogs having alergic reactions to fert.never heard of it causing any conjivitis or what ever???maybe check with your fert distributor or who ever you purchase your fert from and ask them? or even check with the manufacturer.ask the home owner how soon she let her dog out.she should have waited at least 4-6 hours.and how big we're the spots of clover you sprayed?i always alert the home owner when i get there that its important to keep all the kids and animals off the lawn for as long as they can,but atleast 4-6 hours.then its almost they're responsibility to follow through with it.bummer:( weed killerman

4. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

ant- two scary scenarios similar to what your going through. I had one call on a dog that had redness on his feet from fert, I offered to pay the vet bill, she declined and lost her as a customer. dog got better. put out pyrethrin for fleas,ticks for dog owner and Child got some in her eye. scared me to death, but child was better overnight. offered to pay doctor bill, clien declined, still spraying them. I've been doing this for 20 years now, and onlw two scares. they won't be the last. hope the dog gets better. Dave

5. wd

wd LawnSite Member

Ant,

I've been where you're at right now. The best thing(s) and only four things you should do are:

1) Provide all MSDS & Sample Labels to the vet & customer.
    2) Contact your insurance carrier immediatly, advise them
    of the stiuation, and ask them for direction.
    3) Don't worry about it. Chances are very good the dog became
    ill from some other source.
    4) Contact the manufacturer(s) of the product(s) that you used
    on the slight chance there may have been a product problem.

You'll probably lose this customer no matter what you do. Therefore, don't promise anything. I had a customer and her two dogs died within two months of each other, each about a week after lawn treatments, and both died of liver failure. I paid for an autopsy of the second dog and found out it died from arsnec poisoning. Now I can't prove how it ingested the poison but there were large chewed on chunks out of thier treated wood deck in the back yard. The customer cancelled anyway and I was out $700+ for the autopsy.

Also don't believe this garbage that some put out that organic's are safer. That just isn't the case (and we use both).

6. ant

thanks for all your replys.
    i talked to the client and the vet. informed him that it could have been from the monentum.the dog recieved some medications and is doing well as of a few days ago.
    thanks again....
    an
    :angel:

7. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

I also had a customer call me and say her daschund (weiner dog) was throwing up after a Momentum application. The pet was OK though.

8. gogetter

gogetter Banned

ant, just curious about an update. Dog is ok? Was vet able to confirm cause of problem? Did you keep customer? If so, did you have to make any changes? In other words, have they asked you to use different products, or anything like that?

9. ant

few things happened
    1. i lost the job.
    2. got my insurance co. involved and he sued me for the vet bill.$600.00
    my insurance co. felt that i did follow the law and offered him nothing.
    he informed us that he was going to get a lawyer and at that time my insurance co. offered to pay him 1/2 JUST AS A BUSINESS DECISION...
    he excepted it and that was that.
    ant

10. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Ant, didn't you have a similar situation last year that you brought up here or was this the same one? It really seems the customer was in on this for some other reason other than the pet, but guess its a guessing game there. I've had a customer with a similar situation with her pet and the vet ruled out the fact it was any pesticide issue to the owner. However, I think some vets tend to grasp at staws to make some conclusion to put the pet owners at ease.