1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lawn Cutting in the Blood?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Smartgene, May 18, 2002.

1. Smartgene

Smartgene LawnSite Member

Although I'm new to the lawn business, I've always enjoyed cutting grass. I worked for a company a few years ago and enjoyed it. A lot of folks I know just detest cutting. While I admit it is not easy work (particularly when it is really hot and humid), I seem addicted to it. Do you guys think some people are (pardon the pun) cut out for it, and some folks are not?
  2. Got Grass?

Got Grass? LawnSite Senior Member

Ya either love it or hate it...
    addicted? I dunno bout that....

But I am addicted to my life & working for myself....

Always up for confusion & change....

It's hell...

I started out last year.

Summer = severe dought = no growing.

Winter = 7ft snow in a week then almost nothing = 6hrs sleep in a week in my truck, then bored outta my mind.

Spring = rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, 2-3x the normal ammount.... = To wet to work, to high to cut.

This summer: Who knows w/ my luck
  3. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

If we all could return to the feelings we had when we first got started!:rolleyes:

Keep that posotive attitude, your gonna need it.
  4. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

I know exactly what you mean, SmartGene. I love the work, it's just the rest of it that gets a little frustrating at times. However, the better my systems become as I pound them into near perfection, the more enjoyable each day is.

Remember, the key to success and happiness is in the systems you create, enact, break down, rework, employ, and perfect... :D
  5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

It must be in your blood. I started mowing lawns when I was 8 years old and have done it on and off ever since. Went full time in 2000 and still love it. There is a lot of satisfaction in looking at a beautiful mowing job after you finish it.:)
  6. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats an interesting question.

I grew up on a farm so I know what hard work is. When I turned 18 I got a job with a landscaping firm, but I am sad to say that I only lasted one day. I was the new recruit and the boys thought it would be funny to watch me push the 21" all day.
    Well I was wupped, and so sun burned that there wasn't an ice cubes chance in hell I was going back the next day. So I got an office job.
    But while working for the man I started my own company mostly weedeating rough areas, and eventually started mowing some grass. So far I can do all my jobs on the weekend, and still work a full time job (great for the medical benefits). Some might say scrub as there are many definitions, but I say you got a family to support and need to start somewhere, as long as you are not out lowballing.
    When I get done on the weekend I am so tired and sore I don't know how some of you guys make it 5-6 days a week, and Im 27.
    Maybe if you had a crew or alot less weedeating. 5 hours swinging that 15lb weedeater is a *****, but it gives me time to think to myself and is a hell of a workout. Plus the money aint that bad either.

So I don' know if it's in the blood or not...or just in different amounts. Although since I have started up again I find myself looking at everyones grass and the quality of cut..I guess thats in the blood huh.
    Sorry for being to detailed.
  7. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Yup, in the blood alright! I love impressing customers, too!

Jimbo: "The money ain't bad"????? You gotta charge more....the money is supposed to be great! And it is for me! But I don't do it just 4 the $$$, I swear!!!

ADLAWNCUTTERS LawnSite Member

yea it's in my blood. this is my 20 th season and most of the time i love it.im only doing part time now because im a police officer full time. i have to do it, i have to work off some off doughnuts.:D