Lawn decay?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by JRichardson, Aug 12, 2001.

1. JRichardson

JRichardson LawnSite Member

:cool: :(
    We recently moved into a 10 yr old house with about 2 acres of lawn (almost all sun all day). It was December so I was not totally concerned that it was brown. It started out great in the spring but it has struggled in spots this summer. It seems that the area that the water runs toward (the Back yard) is producing more weeds and less grass. This area was very moist and spongey for most of the wet spring.

I have decided to try to straighten it out this fall, and prepare for next year. I am thinking of De-thatch or airate and seed/furtilize, with a sunny seed. Any thoughts? I am really playing this by ear since I have very limited experience. I welcome any and all ideas. Thanks!

2. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd get a soil test done first to determine what needs your lawn has. Your local cooperative extension has soil test kits which you can buy for $6 or so then mail directly to Penn State. In the interim, it won't hurt to aerate and overseed before the end of September.

3. HOWARD JONES

HOWARD JONES LawnSite Member

Assuming you are talking about fescue or bluegrass, I second Scraper's suggestion - overseeding needs to be done in Sept. I am also concerned about the wet area - if it is really swampy, this can be a major factor in the problem - again, maybe the coop extension can help you assess the conditions and make suggestions for the fix - it may require some landscaping to get the water to drain.