Lawn disease-What is this?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tharrell, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

This is a 3 year old tall fescue lawn. It was killed and slit seeded.
    I think this is brown patch. Anybody?

DSC00407 edited for lawnsite.jpg

DSC00406 edited for lawnsite.jpg
  2. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like a fungus, probably brown patch. That stuff is rampant in Va Beach.
  3. Master Po

Master Po LawnSite Member

That is what I would say it is. Hopefully you will get some rain out there after you treat it. All the lawns I treated never fully recovered because we didn't get any rain in the subsequent weeks after treating it. Can you say waste of an expensive chemical?
  4. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

I say brown patch. It's in lots of lawns around here too. just have to wait till the temps get cooler.
  5. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe, maybe not... look again at the second pic. You'll see smaller more distinct circular patches. Maybe $ spot. The larger patches may have been smaller ones which have merged together. More info needed. How long did it take to get this bad & have you been bagging or simply discharging (spreadiong the fungus?) Has the lawn been recently fertilized (some fungi will spread more rapidly if fertilized)
  6. gorknoids

gorknoids LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry, I don't know where you are, but the first pic makes it look like all the damage is right along the road, and the dead stuff at the edge of the drive doesn't look like fescue. Is this property in a farming community where hay is hauled past?
    Hard to say just by the pics. Check the blades of grass at the perimiter of the dead areas for leaf damage (disease indicators as opposed to bug damage) and check the soil for larvae. Could be brown patch, but it's a bad case if so.
  7. all ferris

I would like to see a single blade of grass about 1" away from those dead spots. Then I would know for sure. The spots seem pretty big to be dollar spot so I would lean towards brown patch. Either way it is a fungus.
  8. all ferris

Or it could be minature crop circles. :p
  9. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

It's not one of my accounts. I pass this property everyday and noticed it really bad lately.
    The homeowner mows it himself. I know the guy who seeded it and he tried to get the guy to let him treat for brown patch the first year. The first year, he only had minor areas and reseeded, it looked good. The second year was about the same as the first. This year, it's a real big problem.
    I was asking for a diagnosis because it looks so much worse this year. Here's a couple of more pics.

DSC00405 edited for lawnsite.jpg

DSC00408 edited for lawnsite.jpg
  10. arborist-28

arborist-28 LawnSite Member

looks like a bad case of brown patch to me .. c