1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lawn Doctor Machine

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lawntennis, Nov 16, 2007.

1. lawntennis

lawntennis LawnSite Senior Member

We have a lot of posts about z-spray vs permagreen. Does anyone know anything about the machine Lawn Doctor uses? Who makes it? Is it any good?
  2. lawnangel1

lawnangel1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from KY

I posted this same question a few months ago. I dont know too many details other than its called the turf tamer, and its patented to where only lawn doctor franchises can use them.
  3. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I bought a Magnum off a Lawn Doctor franchise owner this summer. They made him sell it and use the Lawn Doctor's machine! I looked at the LD spreader and it was pretty nice! it had a metered flow on granular fertilizer that would stop or slow down with the spreader ground speed. they also had walk behind spreaders that were motorized that had the same features. But I dont think you can buy them unless you buy a franchise!
  4. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

don't the z sprays do that? Not 100% sure but i thought they did something similar, as far as spread width being tied into ground speed.
  5. indyturf

from Indy

Not sure? My Z doesn't have it but its a couple years old! The LD machine had some type of a "conveyor" belt that the fertilizer came out of the spreader on! looked pretty cool but I thought it would be just one more thing to go wrong! and harder to keep clean.
  6. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Sound like it works like a fertilizer buggy (like we use on the farm). I bet it is ground driven somehow if it has a belt or a web.

Sounds like it could be a complex system.

A hole using gravity is just simple, as I am not sure I would want to get into using a machine like that.
  7. sclawndr

sclawndr LawnSite Senior Member

The Turf Tamer is a self propelled walk behind spreader sprayer. It's ground metered and is easily the best of its kind. The other LD spreaders are stand-ons and ride-ons and though they work well, are 3 to 4 times as expensive as a Z or PG. That's why many LD dealers use Zs and PGs. The maintenance costs are very high on all the equipment. You have to be a franchise owner to legally buy or use the equipment.
  8. lawntennis

lawntennis LawnSite Senior Member

Can it spread two granular apps at the same time? I came across a LD guy that said he was putting down 24-5-11 and lime, but was only making one pass on a ride-on.
  9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Gregson Clark used to make a machine that was similar to this, but it still didn't have all the features as LD machine.
  10. indyturf

from Indy

When LD found out this guy was using a PG they said he couldn't use it and had to use the LD machine! he had 3 or 4 of the walk behinds and a couple riders!
    if they are 3 or 4 times the price of a PG or Z I don't think they have to worry about other guys buying them! I wonder if LD inflate's the price then buy the machine's back when they buy a new one so they don't end up on Ebay?