Lawn dye

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Patriot Services, Dec 24, 2010.

1. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Anybody here doing lawn dyeing in the south. Some many lawns have gone yellow again this year I can't help but wonder if there is money to be made. My HOA sends nasty grams with a 250.00 fine if your grass is not green. Regardless if its just dormant or we have had freezing temps.:usflag:

ericg likes this.
  2. newjerseylandscaping

newjerseylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

how does one go about dying a lawn

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

So now our snow looks like lime jello.

4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

5. MR-G

MR-G LawnSite Senior Member

I would tell them goodbye....:usflag:

6. Patriot Services

And what? Take a loss on your house if you can even manage to sell it. Love'em or hat'em deed retsrictions are the reason many of us h ave work.
    Posted via Mobile Device

ericg likes this.
  7. TheGoat

TheGoat LawnSite Senior Member

I don't currently offer dying, but I plan to have it offered by my service by next winter.
    anyone have a favored supplier?

8. Patriot Services

I'm researching in earnest. Experimenting still on own lawn will keep you posted. Dye looks pricey but gets better in quantity.
    Posted via Mobile Device

ericg likes this.
  9. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

So what do you want to know?

I dye dormant turf all of the time - it's easy to do although it does require a large volume of water per thousand feet so no permagreen type sprayer will work. Typically I am at somewhere around 3.5 to 5 gallons per thousand depending upon the turf type, existent height, current amount of discolor, turf density, etc.

A bit of experimentation goes a long ways to answering what will work for you but the dyeing is easy, per gallon applied makes me more money than pesticide applications (except ball moss spraying) but tank clean up is a royal pain in the arse.

Agitation is the key along with a decent strainer screen that doesn't have any blow-by. Also if you plan on spraying when ambient temps drop below 52*F or so I'd suggest not too. Most of the dyes available require warmer water temps to achieve a decent suspension and I have found in cooler temps the JD-9 gun will "spot" and clog.

10. Patriot Services

Thanks, that's the info I was looking for. I didn't think you did full lawns with a backpack sprayer.
    Posted via Mobile Device

ericg likes this.