1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

lawn edging, each visit?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by captaingreen, Feb 14, 2004.

1. captaingreen

captaingreen LawnSite Senior Member

Just wondering how often you guys use an edger. I'm talking about cool season turf, fescue/bluegrass. Do you edge each visit, every other, or turn your trimmer on its side. Some of my competition edges every other visit, they leave a well defined line that seems to last. Just wanting some opinions, thank you.

2. Kelly & Sons

Kelly & Sons LawnSite Member

I cut mainly St Augustine grass, but... in the winter months, I only edge every other week. (i use an edgit) Summer months though, it is Every single week!

3. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

As needed. In the peak of growing season I hit it almost every time. In the summer and winter I can go 2-4 weeks before hitting it. My main concern is does it look good. If yes I save some time and skip, if not then I hit it with the edger. Quality.

4. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

I edge every visit (string trimmer) April through October because cleints request it but then ***** because their edges get to wide. Going to buy a stick edger this year to minimize that.

5. Kelly & Sons

Kelly & Sons LawnSite Member

I've had 2-3 people b*tch about that (being to wide) so then I use a stick edger. One thing that I Like about the "wider" edge, is that it allows the water to run off the driveways better...

6. Mac V2.0

Mac V2.0 LawnSite Member
    from Mid OH

7. TXLAWNBOY

TXLAWNBOY LawnSite Member

We edge each time we are at a property, it's just part of the routine.

8. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

We also edge each time we are at a property. It's part or our basic service, edge, mow, blow, trim.

9. Lawn Specialties

Lawn Specialties LawnSite Member

Every visit during heavy spring growth.As needed to maintain a crisp clean edge during summer and fall. Some times only once a month.

10. captaingreen

captaingreen LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for all of the replies fella's. I think cool vs. warm season definitely makes a difference by the replies, especially during the summer when cool season turf begins to slow down in growth. Is it spring yet?