Lawn Edging

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Bandhead3, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Bandhead3

Bandhead3 LawnSite Member

Alright.
    I've got an idea. Instead of edgin my sidewalk, why don't I Dig out the soil 2 inches deep, 1 inch wide? then edge from there? I use a weed wacker to edge.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. jabbo

jabbo LawnSite Member

It will not look near as good as it does where the grass grows right up to the concrete and you edge it....Plus when you leave bare places in grass you give the weeds and other grasses an open invitation. :nono:

3. Teach123

Teach123 LawnSite Member

I agree. Won't look very good. Won't look natural. I think whatever aesthetic appearance you think you gain will be thrown out the window when it just looks weird. Just my opinion though.

4. Bandhead3

Hmm, Good point.
    My neighbor has done that, I'm going to take a picture an show you. it looks great.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

I hope for you neighbors sake no one walks to close to the edge of the side walk and twist or breaks ones ankle or worse. From a liability standpoint this is a really bad idea.
    easy-lift guy

6. macgyver_GA

macgyver_GA LawnSite Senior Member

My neighbor did that with his yard and it looks awful. Go buy a stick edger and you'll never go back to edging sidewalks, streets, etc with a string trimmer.

I also have neighbors who edge by scalping the grass down even with the sidewalk or driveway. That also looks terrible. I took over a few of my accounts a few years ago from some hack job guy who quit showing up and he edged the same way by scalping the grass down level with the sidewalk & driveway. It took about a month or two before the grass grew back enough to where I could start edging it with my stick edger.

The only thing I edge with a string trimmer is the beds.

7. Bandhead3

I've got a steady hand. I make an extremely nice edge even with a string trimmer.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Stop doing drugs or abusing alcohol and go to sleep.

9. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Stick edger or WB edger to cut establish edge. Trim vertically with string trimmer to maintain. Yes it can be done and done well. Don't make me post pics. Some trimmers have better weight and balance for vertical trimming. The easiest string trimmer for this is the Echo SRM230... IMO
    Most lco's here scalp down level with curb or driveway...it turns brown and there is a touch of moss clinging to the dirt. I think most belive this is normal and ideal. Go figure.
    Posted via Mobile Device