Lawn Equipment "Made in USA"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Aug 12, 2006.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Just how much of our lawn equipment is made in the USA? ZTR's and WB's seemed to be made mostly here even though engines may not be. What about trimmers and blowers also. Any info on where equipment is made is what I'm wanting to know. Does the US have this market in firm grasp or will imports squeeze us as they have done in auto's? Where's you Mower made, seems like the midwest or plains have a large percentage of the ZTR market.

2. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

Everything on Scag is besides wheel motors and engine.

3. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

Walker Mowers "Made in USA" Ft.Collins, Colo. Toro, Exmark Gravely,Jacobsen, are all made in USA.

Most of the handheld equip. is made in Japan: Shindaiwa, Maruyama, Robin, Echo(Kioritz), Redmax(Komatsu Zenoah), Tanaka. Stihl has a USA factory, state of the art manufacturing in Virginia.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

There are no manufacturers of commercial handheld equipment based in the USA. Japan, Sweden and Germany are the owners. Some equipment is assembled here and some components are made here but all of the profits go overseas.

In-so-far as mowers go most of them are built in the USA and virtually all of the profits stay here with the exception of Honda and Electrolux products. There are components that are built out of country like electrical components, castings, and engines. Kawasaki builds a very high number or engines here but the profits go to Japan.

5. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I noticed yesterday, sealed bearings made in China.

6. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

I guess Stihl does't have the state of the art plant in Virginia then?? I'm sure they will be surprised. All those people and machines going through the motions... Assembled from their basic components like bearings, oil seals, crankshafts, pistons, cylinders, etc. sure sounds like built in USA. Granted, the castings, etc. may very well be done out of country.... This is opposed to simply putting two or three main assemblies together as most Japanese manu do.

I would venture to say most profits head on out of country anyway as many large shareholders are from out of country. Or they may just find that there are tax havens for their money out of country!

7. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Echo although a Japanese company,also has a manufacturing facility here in Illinois.Simplicity an American company controls, Ferris, Giant Vac and Snapper, all American companies as well.

Like everything thing else engines, equipment even though American made,have many foreign components that go into the making of almost all American brands. I'm not sure if it is the case now, but when Deere acquired homelight they farmed out much of product manufacturing to Mexico. I might be wrong , but I believe Briggs and Stratton farms out a lot of the manufacturing of their engines to Mexico.

8. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

John Deere's commercial mower plant is right here in NC, about 75 miles from me. I was recently ask if I'd like to tour it with a JD Rep and probably will in the fall.

9. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I think Briggs bought Simplicity which means they own the others under Simpicity as well.

10. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Why worry about where the equipment is made? As long as the people who own stock in those companies make enough money to justify paying me to maintain their properties I could care less where the equipment is made. How much money do you make from factory workers who are not saving a penny and are working only towards a pension and social security?