1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

lawn equipment recommendations?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by brookfield park, Sep 4, 2002.

1. brookfield park

brookfield park LawnSite Member

i am the manager of a new condominium project (68 duplex buildings) on 37 acres of land. currently have 10 buildings with approximately 1.5 acres of actual lawn. expecting to add 10 buildings (and 1.5 acres of lawn) a year. we will have on-site staff to care for the grounds. would appreciate any recommendations on type of equipment we should purchase to care for the lawn.
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I'm going to assume that these are high end units. For handheld equipment like trimmers and blowers I recommend that you just try some of them out and see which one you like best. Kawasaki trimmers seem to be the hot item right now. On the mower I would recommend Walker bagging mowers. They carry their own grass hopper and they do a very nice job as long as you're not in a hurry. I would recommed one of the discharge mowers like Dixie Chopper, Exmark or Hustler but I am guessing that there will be a lot of landscaping and some very small areas to cut and the Walker would fit the bill perfectly.
  3. Firefighter Dave

Firefighter Dave LawnSite Member

Are you going to hire lawn care professionals with experiance? If you are I would recomend you wait to buy equipment till you hire them. Two things.... it will get you an opinon of someone who has used the equipment and also will make your employee's happier using equipment they like!

:blob2: :blob2:
  4. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a small complex I take care of and I use a 60" Dixie Chopper on most of it, and a 36" Exmark walk behind on the rest, which is a pretty steep bank.

I will say this for your purchase, buy what will fit the property the best, not what will mow the grass fastest. What I mean is you might can work with a walk behind in more of your area's much better than the zero turn machines, therefore your money is better spent on a walk behind. It all depends on the layout of your property.
  5. dforbes

dforbes LawnSite Member

It depends on how it lays out. Is it mostly open large areas of grass. Are there lots of beds with small patches in between. Fences, gates sloped or flat. We have different equiptment, sometimes a 48" mower can be more productive than a 60". You need to look at the whole picture.