lawn estimates, now?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fga, Jan 9, 2004.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

Got a call today for a lwam estimate for the upcoming season. Great, I have the time to go look....the thing is, like 4-6 neighbors are interesred too, according to the lady(who was recommended through one of my customers). I asked her who's the guy she has now, I got the usual" I don't remeber his name..". Whatever, if I get this account, its really not a big deal, not big, the guy shouldn't care.....but 6 lined up? We didn't talk about what she's getting charged now, so there is a possibilty that I may undercut him, but not on purpose. I don't like asking what they charge, it almost makes me look like I can't price a simple lawn estimate. Would you just give the estimates and not care about the other guy, I mean they are coming to me........

2. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

i'd ask what the other person is charging. and why charge less if she is used to paying more? Just get in a conversation about what she thought of the guy, what services he did, and then sneak in, how much was he asking? That way you can even take it up a few more dollars too. sell yourself, be confident and passionate about what you are doing. with that in mind, most people wont mind an increase in price.

3. Zach76

Zach76 LawnSite Member

Before joining this site, I would have said do your best to undercut the other guy to get the job but still make a little on each one. Now, after reading all the posts here and educating myself through the waelth of knowledge other members have provided, I would try to give a bid slightly higher than what I would have bid under normal circumstances. If they have come to you, they obviously know you do good work, and will most likely pay a higher price for it, and that's a little extra cash for you every week. If they don't accept it, like you said, its not that big of a deal. I would think you'll probably get a couple to switch to you, and a couple will keep the current guy based on price, but down the road, you may get them too when they see how good of a job you are doing for their neighbors who did switch.

4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

forget what the other guy was charging. you charge YOUR price. if u ask, and she says $25, and you were thinkin $35, then you feel like you have to justify your price. screw it, its only grass, give your price, sell the job the best u know how, if it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen

5. TotalCareSolutions

TotalCareSolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Quote the job. What does the other guy have to do with it?

6. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I wouldn't care what the other guy's charging. I never ask about that. Just give your price and sell yourself. The person might not be worried about price, but professionalism, quality, etc.

:D

7. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

The only reason I'm concerned about his price, I don't want to undercut anybody. The island is small, you see the same guys all the time at the nursery,etc.

8. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

If your best, honest price is less than his doesn't necessarily mean you're undercutting him. I know I can cut for less than those who have many employees and crews and equipment payments, and my best price might be less than other's. That's not necessarily undercutting. I consider it undercutting when you purposely lower your price to steal his customers.

9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

fga, u fish? i do most of my fishing off staten island

10. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

I wouldn’t worry about him thinking you under charged him he may or may not think it but I highly doubt the client that just fired him is going to go and by the way so and so is only charging me this. The fact is as we expand we are always going to be taking over some one else’s account. On one of my first estimates I showed up I was teaching my Jr partner how to estimate and I had just struck a deal. 25 dollars bagged it was basically a 5-6 min stop I mean it was sweet and the view is unreal the ocean sprays you as you cut. Well anyway I'm signing the lawn and at that very moment their old landscaper shows up hehehehe. You want to talk about feeling uncomfortable I stood my ground we nodded to each other and he went his separate way. A week later on referral I took another of his its not personal I have to eat too. I know I will loss accounts in time too it happens.