1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

lawn fert question

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Triple R, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Triple R

Triple R LawnSite Member

As a general rule of thumb when would it be better to apply a fertilizer like a triple 15 to a lawn? I am thinking mainly of the phosphorus, either fall to help it through the winter or spring to help with summer diseases. This is for Fescue in zone 8 that is mowed about 50 times an year. For the last year I have been using a slow release fert that is high in N and low in P & K. The local soil is mainly sandy loam and a little on the alkali side. I won't be doing any soil testing due to the cut throat market I am in.

Any helpful advise would be appreciated
    Triple R
  2. tdkx

tdkx LawnSite Member

Why no soil test again? Well, I don't see any problem with 15-15-15 as long as it is legal to apply in your state.
  3. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

4. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

i dunno about the 'just another name in phone book' ....to test every lawn is not gonna make anybody any $$$$ (thats why we do this, right?) and is just way to extreme. but maybe pull 2-3 soil test to get the general idea?

in my career i've pulled maybe 2 dozen soil test over 20 years and working for 3 major companies....and they all read very simular