lawn full of

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by greenest grass, Nov 28, 2005.

1. greenest grass

greenest grass LawnSite Member

I noticed the other day while walking across my lawn that the sod moved like a rug on a tile floor. Upon closer inspection I found that I could lift up huge sections of my lawn and the soil was full of grubs. Initially I was walking across the lawn to inspect damage done by animals (Raccoon and/or possum I thought). I am assuming the animals are digging up my sod because they are after the grubs. I couldn't believe the damage done by the grubs. My entire rear yard is shot. What do I do now???? Treat it? Then rototill it and replant? Any advise will be appreciated.
  2. chopsticks33

chopsticks33 LawnSite Member

i dont know much about how to get rid and stuff, but i did a quick google search and came across a few paragraphs from

Birds, especially starlings and robins, love to eat both the beetles and the grubs, so attracting birds to your yard will decrease the number of grubs in your lawn. If you can find them, Margosan®, Neem®, or Scanmask® are good organic controls, and the GardensAlive® catalog sells nematodes that are moderately effective on our grub population. Nematodes should be applied at the end of July or the first week of August, since you want to get the newly hatched baby grubs. Nematodes aren’t as effective on the larger ones.

Usually though, you have to resort to using Diazinon®, Dursban®, or Oftinol®, all potent insecticides. Unfortunately, these chemicals also kill all the beneficial insects too, including those valuable earthworms, and are toxic to fish, birds, pets, and even you, if you don’t apply them properly.
  3. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

merit works great best bet would be to hire an applicator to come out and treat then check damages after grubs are gone chances are it might just need some seed in the bad spots.
  4. okgrassguy

okgrassguy LawnSite Member

I think Dylox might be your best bet for a quick kill. I think Bayer 24 hour grub control is best bet.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

we use dylox there are others that work do it yourself our hire some 1 then reseed.
  6. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

neem is good especially early on even attracting birds really somebody would have to see the damage to see what treatment you need
  7. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

My first response would be to urge you to hire a licensed professional. If you are adept at treating your own lawn my suggestion would be as follows:

1.) Apply Dylox according to the label (available at most any farm and garden store or a Lesco if you have one near)

2.) Water in at least 1/2in water. Very important to do this immediately after treating.

3.) Wait 7-10 days then rake off the dead grass, aerate, dethatch, and then hydroseed the bare areas.

4.) Water regularly, when the grass stand is established treat with Merit (Imidicloprid) grub control according to the label.
  8. greenest grass

greenest grass LawnSite Member

Thanks for your responses. I'll treat the lawn and reseed. By the way, I noticed that it seems to be skunks eating the grubs, at least I have seen a number of them digging in the lawn last nite.
  9. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Skunks and racoons love to eat grubs. They will do a serious job on your lawn getting at the grubs. In my 15 years experience, they do more damage than the grubs themselves!! Dylox is the weapon of choice. All the others don't kill enough to be worth it. I have tried organics and they are good for maybe 50% control, which, in my opinion, is unacceptable. Apply Merit athe recomended rates around the middle/end of july, water it in. Merit works systemically. This means that the plant takes it into its tissues. Grub takes a bite and dies. Basically you are poisoning the apple. This also means that your lawn must be actively growing for it to work.
    A very wise grass-guru once told me "The best defense against weeds, insects, and disease, is a healthy lawn." Keep the lawn happy and you will be too. Regular fertilizing, using a good product (you get what you pay for!), mow at proper height regularly, aerate it every year or so, lime regularly according to soil test recomendations.
    Contact your local Agricultural Extension Station and your local Lesco.
  10. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Use Dylox NOT MERIT to treat. Merit is only good for early stages (applied in July or so). Depending on temps., might want to wait till spring to re-seed (dont apply Pre-M to the area).