Lawn Fungus - Northeast guys help

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by NNJLandman, Jul 27, 2007.

1. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

I have two customers now that have this weird fungus growing in their lawns. It starts off looking like blue/gray - blue/green then turns real black. One customer has like a crop circle and patches of it in his front yard, another has some patches here and there.

I took a look at it today, its mainly near the top of the blade of grass, and when you look at it up close it looks like a million tiny spores all bunched together. When you mow over it, it creates a small cloud, which is probably spreading it.

Does anyone know what this is? How can my customers treat it?

2. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like you have a few types of fungus.Treat it with Bayleton which comes in a liquid or a granular.
  3. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

The described circular one sounds like dollar spot. The spore one perhaps its slime mold or powdery mildew.

Both should be treated with a fungicide. But you really need to identify which type of fungus/mold it is to find out how to treat it and at what rate to treat it at intially and what rate of application with a followup and when. Also, you should figure out what is causing the problems in the first place and take care of that (i.e. poor drainage, overwatering, cutting height, etc.)
  4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like slime mold. If so: Blue gray--dusty--thousands of powdery black spores. It grows on the grass for support--it does not infect the grass plant. Not harmful. Brush if off with a stiff broom or wash it off with a hose.
  5. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

We cannot make a recommendation in good conscience. "Crop circles" sound like Fairy Rings but we need more information. The dark blue turf could be drought stress.

Pictures/Irrigation rates/Recent fertiity all needed.
  6. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

i hope your not serious
  7. Prolawnservice

Prolawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Its odd you find that surprising, you've been around long enough to know that's how way too many applicators think.
  8. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

yah, but to actualy say that in an open forum? to each there own
  9. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

I have seen a few things out there that resemble what you are speaking of. We have treated only a handful of lawns all summer with a fungicide. It depends on what you have and what your customers expectations are. But if you have symptoms already it may be too late to do anything with it. We aren't treating anything right now. Just hittingit with a nice balanced 50% organic fert to grow out the damage as the normal scheduling allows,