Lawn Fungus Question

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mathproshs, Sep 10, 2006.

1. mathproshs

mathproshs LawnSite Member

Hi,

Commercial mower who was mowing my backyard today and noticed this. This area was under the kids little tikes playground that I had put together last Sunday and had moved to mow underneath it.

Any help would be appreciated

CIMG3049.JPG

2. northernsvc's

northernsvc's LawnSite Member

probably dying out because you had something on top of it, couldn't get sunlight. now that object is off it should grow back.

3. mathproshs

northernsvc's,

Here is another pic...top section of the grass green, bottom yellow....this is from a different part of the lawn.

CIMG3053.JPG

4. northernsvc's

do you have any more pictures?maybe on farther away showing affected area. is it the whole lawn or just patches?

5. mathproshs

Here are a couple of more I just took..it seems like its on the whole lawn.

CIMG3055.JPG

CIMG3056.JPG

6. northernsvc's

if you rub the leaves does an orangish substance come off on your hands?

7. mathproshs

No...its not rust.

8. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

definitely not rust. i've seen it before too and would like a seasoned veteran to tell us what it is. i thought it was a leaf spot disease when i saw it, but i don't know for sure. i was told most lawns have leaf spot, but some just show it worse than others. the way it doesn't damage patches, but the majority of the lawn is what puzzles me.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know how much of a "seasoned veteran" I am (lol), but it appears to be Leaf Spot (Helminthosporium). I was first inclined to think Brown Patch, but the attern just isn't there. It's not Anthracnose (somewhat looks like it), because it doesn't have melting off in the leafblade, and there just isn't enough of that weird "yellow" color in it.
    Keep it raked to help dry it out (air circulation), and it may just grow out of it. If not, it can be treated with a fungicide.

10. jimmiejoe

jimmiejoe LawnSite Member

It appears to be Grey Leaf Spot, if not it is very similar in appearance to it. Have you considered applying Daconil on it?