1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lawn/Garden Tractors

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Grass Happens, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Grass Happens

Grass Happens LawnSite Senior Member

Am i the only one that feels that by using lawn tractors, you look like a hillbilly? don't get me wrong, there nice to have to pull things and what not, but to mow with? Am I alone on this one?
  2. thesargent

thesargent LawnSite Senior Member

what exactly is your point with this? to make those that use them feel like your better than them? i really dont understand what your trying to accomplish. doesnt seem to beneficial.
  3. swingset

swingset LawnSite Member

There are LCO's out there that would think YOU were the hillbilly with an old truck pulling your rig.

Snobbery is easily countered, by a nice paycheck.

I've got an older truck, and some cheap gear on my trailer. So what...it brings home the bacon, with minimal overhead.
  4. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I agree. I also think that their bad job might be almost as much as a lack of knowledge rather then just the equipments fault. Its usually the ones with lawn tractors I see cutting it down to the dirt, not edging or trimming, etc. Maybe they just dont know that they cant cut grass at 1.5 inches and have it live.

Edit- like to add, there is nothing wrong with looking "hillbilly". I think there would be better wording for that, maybe just unprofessional. And yes, I too look unprofessional pulling up to my lawns with my 1984 C20 Chevy. But, when looking at some of the full time guys with trucks not too much younger then that, in a LOT worse shape, I dont feel so bad.
  5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Most people around here don't care what it's cut with as long as it's cut.
  6. deereequipment

deereequipment LawnSite Senior Member

I have ZTR's and I have lawn tractors. I'd sit on my Deere 425 all day. It may be a bit slower, but it gives alot better cut!
  7. swingset

swingset LawnSite Member

That's the truth. We have a GX345 that cuts like a pair of crafting scissors. I love my Z's for productivity, but if you compare the quality of cut to the Deere, it's not even close.

Plus, the tractor has a whole arsenal of implements that the Z's and WB's don't.

I used the Deere when my ZTR was in the shop, and I didn't give a crap what I looked like. It got the job done, and well.
  8. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

The differance is that those are commercial grade, high dollar tractors, not your standard $899 Craftsman.
  9. deereequipment

deereequipment LawnSite Senior Member

Craftsman is not a lawn tractor.
    Those wanna-be's who call themselves lawn care guys, and it takes them 2 hrs to mow what I can in 30 minutes.... I laugh at.

Sometimes, those with just a zero turn, I wonder about.
    Every lawn is different, and you can't cut every lawn with a ZTR.
    Gotta have the right equipment to do the job!
  10. Grass Happens

Grass Happens LawnSite Senior Member

You are right, i should have said unprofessional. Yea, the big deeres and simplicitys are better to use. I had to use my broadmoor last year when my gs30 hit a rock and made the timed blades very unhappy. What ZTR's are you using that leave a worse cut then a JD tractor? About the only tractors i have seen that cut consistently better then most ztrs are simplicitys. For lawns where W/B's, ZTR's and stand-ons don't work, I like the bobcat/ferris/scag 3 wheeler types.
    Just for the record, my old dodge sits, unless i need it to pull mulch. Otherwise my ranger may be 15 years old, but it still looks brand-new and gets 15mpg pulling my trailer. To match that number i would need to get a full-size diesel, something that I can't buy right now.