1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

lawn guy said Brown Patch

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Aug 8, 2007.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I knew what this was one block away (note the orangish color). The homeowner was outside, so I told him he should spray ASAP. I also handed him a fact sheet regarding 'greenbug aphids'. He told me that his lawn service (you can probably guess which one) told him a month ago that is was "brown patch", and it would go away if he watered more (he has a sprinkler system). When he saw the aphids with my magnifying glass, he immediately called :___ _____" and told them to "get their a$$ out here". I ended up doing a "truck estimate" for him as well as his next door neighbor. This happened today.

You guys have any similar experiences?

brown patch aphids.jpg
  2. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

WOW! Aphids are destructive!
  3. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

man, i have only seen aphids do damage under trees. those little boogers are going to work on that lawn.
  4. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

i have never seen aphid damage on a lawn is it a regional problem on certain turf?
  5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

The big company sometimes exaggerates the amount of training and expertise of their people.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

what type of turf is that
  7. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Yes, it is regional. Seems to be most common in the western Midwest, and usually only affecting Kentucky bluegrass. I've never seen these rascals on St Augustine or Bermuda or tif (hybrid) bermuda. Search Iowa State University for detailed info. The aphid eggs are carried on the upper air currents, then "dropped" when winds encounter obstacles (especially trees).

These guys are a weird bug indeed.:usflag:
  8. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Haven't seen any here yet. Well, maybe once a couple years ago I guess.
  9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Around here, we don't really have anything that loos like that as far as insect damage. we have chinch bug damage, but it is seldomly in areas that large, and is a bit more spiratic than that. In other words. you may see more rashes of green in there where some of the grass is still hanging in there. The way it is solid like that - especially around the edges, it resembles more like our grub damage.
  10. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

I've seen aphid damage, but never like that. Usually under the drip line like Kosar said. Would that be "large" brown patch??!!