Lawn Has a yellow cast. What is it?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by TMT, May 8, 2006.

1. TMT

TMT LawnSite Member

I treated this lawn in March with halts and in April with Turf builder. It was looking very good, color, texture but now it has a yellow cast to it and further observation revealed some of the turf is yellowing from the base of the plant upward to the top. To much Nitrogen or what? Any suggestions

2. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Could the lawn be dry? How long since you've had measurable rain, or watered?
    Every spring I get about 20 calls from people who think they have fertilizer burn, fungus or bugs, nearly all of them are just dry.

3. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

From one of my bookmarks......

Potassium Deficiency

Yellowing of older leaves followed by tip die-back and necrosis along the leaf margin are signs of potassium (K) deficiency. Typically, symptoms are more likely to appear as increased susceptibility to other stresses. Overall turfgrass may appear chlorotic and have lower spring quality and reduced tolerance to heat. However, potassium deficiency is rarely reported and it has been suggested that mild deficiencies are rather common. Among various turfgrass species, adequate potassium has been shown to increase establishment, spring performance and stress tolerance to cold, heat, and wear.

Iron Deficiency

Interveinal chlorosis occurring initially in the young leaves is a sign of iron (Fe) deficiency; in extreme cases leaves can appear almost white. Iron deficiencies result in the loss of an upright growth habit. Turfgrass stands appear matted and are often difficult to mow. Iron deficient turfgrass may appear as a mosaic of chlorotic patches. Soil conditions leading to iron deficiencies include high pH, high soil phosphorus levels, high soil nitrogen levels, sandy soils and cold, wet soils. Many products are available for foliar application of chelated iron. Color enhancement occurs within hours of the application and lasts two to three weeks during wet periods or several months during cool, dry periods, depending on growth conditions.