Lawn height question - No. Virginia

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by harryhomeowner, Sep 8, 2004.

1. harryhomeowner

harryhomeowner LawnSite Member

Currently cut my grass at 3.75", didn't pull out the sprinkler at all this year and only saw "stress browning" for a few days all season. As we get into fall should I lower the cutting height? I was thinking of no less than 3", this would certainly help when mowing the leaves that fall into the yard.

I have Fescue grass.

What other benefits would lowering the deck have in the fall on the lawn?

What's your $.02

2. m2pc

m2pc LawnSite Member
    from Mass

I was actually thinking the same thing, but in preparation for winter. Should I start cuttting a little lower and for winter, should it be cut low and how low?

3. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

You did the right thing by going to the upper end of the height range for summer stress periods. Now that fall is approaching, the fescue will tolerate mowing where it performs best.

The answer actually depends on the exact cultivar of fescue you have.

Some of the improved turf-types such as the Rebels actually perform best at a 2.5" height in ideal weather conditions. The older varieties such as KY-31 do better at 3".

Just remember to never remove more than 1/3 of the height at any given time. Changing your height sometimes requires a couple of mowings a few days apart.

4. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

another rule is to never cut fescue less than 2 inches. Cutting fescue less than two inches damages the crown of the plant