Lawn help needed!

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by lawnguru wannabe, May 19, 2010.

1. lawnguru wannabe

lawnguru wannabe LawnSite Member

This house was just built July 2008. The first summer we layed down seed just on the outer part surrounding the house (approximately a half acre), and then mowed the rest of the 'hay field' (really was a hay field) in hopes that after continuous mowing it would turn to grass. Attached you'll see what it looks like now. I have applied fertilizer once in the fall of 2008, and then again last spring (2009). I put down weed and feed. This year, so far I haven't been able to put down any fertilizer since it says the grass should be 'wet' when I put it down, and I've been gone just about every time after it has rained. I've heard you can turn on the sprinklers then put the fertilizer down after that, but with what we have mowed right now (the part we spread seed down, and the part that we mowed that was hayfield, that is almost 2 acres so almost impossible with the time I have.

Few questions I have:

--what's the proper fertilizer treatment from year to year in a lawn this young?
    --can i keep on mowing the 'hayfield' part in hopes that it will eventually all turn to grass?
    --does my lawn look like it needs nitrogen? it looked good about a month ago but since has turned brown.
    --as you can see i have a substantial dandelion problem, as well as clover growing in spots all over the yard. what's a good treatment for that?
    --additionally, when spraying, do i need to be careful of trees that were planted last year?

I think that's about all the questions I have for now. I'm a newbie for sure....and new to this site. I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks! :)

103_0731.jpg

103_0733.jpg

103_0734.jpg

103_0735.jpg

103_0736.jpg

2. bigslick7878

bigslick7878 LawnSite Senior Member

A little seed here and a little fertilizer there is not going to fix that yard, you are wasting your time.

If you want a nice lawn it is going to cost time and money to fix that, and probably a good amount of it.

How much are you prepared to spend?

3. jnt412

jnt412 LawnSite Member

I agree with bigslick. Its possible to get the results you want but it won't happen over night for sure. The WHOLE area will need to be treated with WeednFeed. If not, the weed problem will continue to occur. The wind will make sure of that... What kind of Weed n Feed did you use?

4. lawnguru wannabe

I actually don't have a ton of money to spend on the lawn so if it takes some time I can live with that. I just bought a pull-behind atv sprayer that I'm going to use. After I cut tonight I'm going to wait a couple days and spray a light mixture of 2-4D on there. I do have the weed and feed granuale fertilizer yet too...Should I apply that after spraying, and if so, how long should I wait?

Thanks for your assistance!

5. bigslick7878

bigslick7878 LawnSite Senior Member

I can't even tell where the yard is, is it the cutout that is shorter than all the rest??

And what is with the odd shape cutout and wood in pic #3??

Also see all those nice big tall weeds around the lawn? The seed from all that garbage will be constantly blowing right onto your lawn and giving you more weeds.

6. jnt412

jnt412 LawnSite Member

Once you spray for weeds you shouldn't have to apply granule weednfeed. I sometimes use a product called Momentum Force from John Deere (formly Lesco). It comes in liquid and granuler. I takes care of the dannies, chick weeds... etc but its slow on clover. Once the weeds are under control I would do a soil test since you have been putting chemicals on the grass prevously and recently.

7. lawnguru wannabe

yes, it's the cut-out area. what surrounds it is a hayfield. this is a new sub-division that used to be farm fields. eventually i am planning on making my whole lot a yard, but until then, i have the neighbor farmer come in and bale it three times a year.

the odd shape is the area that goes to the back of our lot and the mound system. i mow that. an area for our bonfire, etc.

i hear you about the weeds from the hayfield, BUT, even if i make that whole area lawn right now, there is still the hay field on the lot next to me that isn't developed yet that will still blow into mine.

8. lawnguru wannabe

that was my original thought...now that i have the sprayer. i won't be applying the granular weed and feed from here on out, but will just be putting down the regular granular fertilizer. does that sound about right? how often do you spray for weeds? i heard twice a year. once in the may/june area and then anytime after labor day.

yes, i do have quite a bit of clover in my yard yet. will that stuff that you mentioned eventually do the trick on it, or is 2-4d maybe better? what's the difference between that and 2-4d?

9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

You are on the right track. Apply the weed and feed. It will take out the dandelions after 3 weeks. And stimulate thicker grass and more green. Apply it when there is a heavy dew early in the morning. Use the weed spray after about 6 to 8 weeks. Spread fertilizer at about the same time--Apply fert just before a good rain if possible. Do the same fert about mid September. Spray the weeds again in Sept. Try to avoid rain for 24 hours after your weed spray. As long as you are spraying weeds in fall as well as spring--the weeds upwind of you will not be a big factor.

10. jnt412

jnt412 LawnSite Member

24d is in alot of herbicides including Momentum.. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?p=1433737

Personally, I treat for weeds one time only in the spring and seed in the fall. Just apply a second application if needed. What type of sprayer are you using?.. I have a tow-behind Brinkly Sprayer that I used to treat a backyard full of ivory last weekend. Cheapo sprayer, but did a dayum good job...