Lawn Herbicides. Do you spot treat or full coverage?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mdvaden, Mar 6, 2007.

Do you spot spray herbicides, do full coverage, or other?

1. Spot spray mainly

29 vote(s)
  2. Full coverage mainly

22 vote(s)
  3. No herbicides

0 vote(s)
  4. Other

3 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Just curious who spot sprays or applies to the entire area (full coverage).
  2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I do overall blanket spraying twice per year. Is it my imagination or are more people switching to back pack spot spraying? Or is it because that is the trend in the south? The back pack is just as time comsuming as the overall spray--so why do spot spraying?
    I started out at Tru Green--On my own for 20 years, but I would not consider spot treating except for in between round spotting for violets, spurge or other tough weeds.
    From Michigan, but when i was in Norfolk last year I saw a lot of weedy lawns. Are more weeds normal inthe south--or was i in the wrong neighborhood? Is the percentage who have lawn care less?
  3. pieperlc

pieperlc LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

On new lawns we'll blanket, but after that we'll spot. On lawns we've been taking care of for a while weed pressure is usually low. With the PG it's so easy to spot spray that blanket doesn't make sense.
  4. sclawndr

sclawndr LawnSite Senior Member

Amen. Why would you waste your time and money throwing a blanket down a yard that only had a few weeds?
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

We do both. But in spring and fall we blanket. the reason being, is that while it is easy to spot the weeds you see, it is also easy to miss many, many weeds you DON'T see. When they are so small like that, they aren't even visible. And THAT is the time to get them. It takes much less to hit them then than it does for them to grow 4 inches across. Furthermore,, it saves many callbacks and/or customers just "putting up" with them. As far as the fall ap., well, those of you guys with vast experience KNOW that blanketing in the fall gives you superior results the next spring.
  6. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

I think it is pretty sad to blanket apply a pesticide when there is a single patch of clover on the whole lawn.

Yes it takes just as much time, I am not spot spraying to save time or product, I do it because it is the right thing to do.

Its this irresponsible attitude that gives our industry a bad name and one day will make if very difficult to earn a living. Ask lawn care business' in certain counties in NY and Canada how difficult it is now.

We need to be more responsible then ever. If a lawn needs to be blanket sprayed then do so. If it needs 3 shots out of the back pack sprayer than do so.

We always give Chemlawn a bad name but I even saw a Chem lawn tech last year spot spraying.
  7. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

I could not agree more. I tried spot spraying last year on about a 1/6 dozen lawns to see how it would work. Those were the only lawns I receieved call backs on. You just can't see those little weeds.

Mike I
    Mike's Total Lawn Care
  8. A dense thick lawn, cut at the proper height, will have few weeds!
  9. green horizons

green horizons LawnSite Member
    from zone 5

I prefer spot spraying on accounts with low weed pressure. Typically these are resi's that I've treated previously. Large accounts (apartments, wharehouse, etc.) will typically get two blanket apps., but a minimum of one. It is nearly impossible to effectively spot-treat 5-30ac. props. However, I still spot-treat between these apps. Pesticides are nasty stuff, but the labels allow for blanket apps. and sometimes the turf situation dictates this.
  10. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

Blanket app. new and problem lawns, spot treat rest, but am not afraid to blanket app. in the fall if there's so much as a hint of a problem.