lawn holds water

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by anna, Feb 24, 2005.

1. anna

anna LawnSite Member

i am going completley crazy i have lived in this house for 6 years and have alaways wanted to plant flowers and a garden but i havent beacuse my lawn holds water severley and i know nothing will grow beasuse of the water.
    my lawn is flat and it will not drain

what can i do to grow flowers?
    my garden i'm going to do raised bed and see how that works but that can get expensive and i would really like to fix the yard so my children can play in the yard with out getting muddy all the time.
  2. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

Have extension agency do a soil test. You probably need to modify the soil and regrade your lawn.
  3. SOMM

SOMM LawnSite Senior Member

Eveyone's lawn in Missouri is mostly juicy until summer makes the fescue lawns crunchy. If its that bad - your neighbors and your drainage may have to be looked at (including what's spilling off the roofs and where stormwater from the gutters are going, and like rtom said -an excavator /grader may have to be called in to grade the area with clay fill dirt and rock to steer the water away from the undesirable area, with perhaps even the need to install some underground drain pipes to steer it away from your property. Hopefully its not an underground septic tank problem or a natural spring.

If its nothing major like that, local hardware stores and elevators usually stock the black plastic drainhoses that can be fitted onto gutter downspouts to direct this rainwater elsewhere. You can also convert lowlands into rock garden areas with a small dumptruck-fulls of various rock, a few boulders, which you can plant native hibiscus, daylillies and plumegrass sets into.

best regards on that for you
  4. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Unfortunately some things come with a price. If your soil is mostly clay, then it isn't going to drain very fast. It can be improved but at a price. Some people rototill in material to help change the porosity of the soil, but of course this soil prep work is generally done before any turf is put down.

By the way, I've seen some very nice raised beds. Some people use old railroad ties, some cinder blocks or cement, and yet others treated lumber or even stone. Fill these raised beds in with some rich organic compost matter and your flowers would flourish.
  5. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Without knowing a lot of needed information, I can offer perhaps one other option. I have dug French drains in established yards to solve similiar problems. The success of this depends on soil conditions, amount water which needs to be dealt with, size of yard, and probably what maybe your biggest problem having a flat yard. I have encorporated draining into existing planters and berms which are invisible and work very well.
  6. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

A few questions:

What is your soil type
    Are you inside the city with curbs and gutters
    Are there any elevation changes in your yard or area
    Are you the low point in your area
    If you could collect the water underground is there a place to pump it to