lawn install #2

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by atproperty, Sep 15, 2006.

1. atproperty

atproperty LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input gents on my first posting on my lawn install! I did not quite find the answer I needed. I think I did a bad job communicating what I needed so I am gonna try again. Its funny I have been asking around for a week around town but I still have not found the answer. This is in reference to a lawn install in a horse paddock. The area will be approx. 14,500 sq ft., 90 yards 2" thick of soil. It is a wide open area. How much labor would you all charge? How much time do you think it will take to spread and level 90 yards on an already flat surface? This is for a good customer of mine who spends a fair amount of money with me. I was thinking of approx. $6,000 for the entire job. Is this too much or am I somewhat on target?

2. freddyc

freddyc LawnSite Senior Member

still don't know what your equip is or man power...so a few assumptions:

1/ The soil can be dumped within 100-150 ft of where you're spreading it.

2/you have a skid steer available to you-- Bobcat 760 series or eqiv.--about 1/2 yard bucket capacity.

3/ there are no fences to get thru or other obstructions.

4/ its a relatively dry day when you do it.

5/ you have one co-worker.

6/ its just general grading to 2"---not a perfectly fine tuned finish grade. In short, drop it and spread it but no harley rake type finish.

It should take you between 2-3 hours just to move the material..grading is extra. Thats with a 60" bucket.

If you have a helper to do some final grading while you move, it looks like 6 hrs to a full day for 2 guys.

3. CAG

CAG LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

my price would be around 3500 but if i thought i could get 6000 i would try.. what you need to do is rent a skid or tractor with a power rake and save the money on the dirt.. as far as time goes to spread the dirt its really impossible to say with out really seeing the property..

4. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

If you dont know how to estimate or charge how in the hell do you know how to do the job.
    Mike

5. atproperty

atproperty LawnSite Member

The first time you did a fairly large install how did you price it? It's not rocket science and in my 4 years of building my business I have never failed at a job yet. Part of that is thinking before doing. Thats what the forum is for. Thanks for the help Mr. personality. You are my hero.

6. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep, i love my self too. This forum also is not a vocational class either. Check my post history i am very helpful. Check the first post he made un real price for top soil than only putting 2" down! So how do you have the job and not be able to figure the total estimate because you dont know how to figure labor. Most post like this is a bunch of kids that probably isnt going to do the job any way. Check out the thread on hydro-seeding some kid wants to rent a hydro- seeder to seed 7 acres and wants to know how much to charge! This is where i proudly claim credit for your post to me.
    Mike