Lawn Install Estimate Help

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by ooo, Jun 6, 2008.

1. ooo

ooo LawnSite Member

A customer purchased 10 acres of land and had a house built. On an area of about 3 acres surrounding the new home, the excavation company stripped all the topsoil off and put it in 4 big piles around the property. This 3 acres will be rough graded by the excavation company before I come in. There are a few small grades, but nothing I cant get a machine on. I am suppose to come in and take the soil from the piles and rockhound/grade over all the areas, seed, and blow straw. All the areas are able to be accessed with machines, but there probably is a few trees and near driveway that needs hand raked. I figure on using a 40HP JD loader to get dirt from piles and a skid steer with attachments to grade/seed.

Ive never done anything over an acre, but wonder what some of you might charge for this and what amount of time you think it would take 2 guys and the two machines?
  2. ooo

ooo LawnSite Member

Also, the topsoil piles are near some of the area to be graded, but I would say half of the areas would require the soil to be carried about 200 feet away for grading. Most of the bed areas the soil can be dumped right in with a machine, though there is probably 1700 sq ft that would have to be dumped at the edge and moved by hand. I'm estimating 2 guys for 2 weeks to do all lawn areas and bed areas, with 2 additional guys for 3 days doing the hand work and assisting with other things. Here is what the costs I have came up with would be (they wanted estimate for seed+straw and one for hydro-seed):

2 machines for 2 weeks = $3000
    Grading Attachments = $1500
    Seeder Attachment = $225
    Straw Blower = $500
    Straw bales - $500 per acre = $1462
    Hydro-seeder = $500
    Hydro-seed Tackifier = $1169
    Hydro-seed Mulch = $2046
    Hydro-seed Dye = $292
    Fertilizer 1 lbs per 1000 sq ft - $160 per acre = $466
    Seed 8 pounds per 1000 sq ft [Penn State] $2 per pound = $2034
    Gas, Oil, Etc. = $800
    208 labor hours ($35 per man hour) = $7280
    40 ton topsoil/mushroom mix for all beds (used with existing topsoil) = $1400
    Mulch (40 yards) = $1400

Process Cost
    Hydro-seed cost = $9000
    Straw and seeding cost = $7200

Entire job done with Seed+Straw = $17267
    Entire job done with Hydro-seeding = $19088

Landscape planting beds total area(sq ft) = 6300
    Lawn total area to be planted (sq ft) = 127100

This look close to what some of you might charge?
  3. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you saying it is going to take you two weeks with two machines to spread soil over 3 acres? Seems like a long time. How big are the piles? You should be able to measure them to see. You could hire a dozer to spread the piles [most likely in one day] and you could just rockhound it with the bobcat and eliminate the JD saving you 1500.00. The day rate for a dozer in SE PA is about 800.00 so I would assume that would be the same for you. A good operator will get you real close to the driveway and eliminate handwork. If you can get close to 20k I would do it your way. Oh, 35 a man hour seems low. Going rate for a two man crew down here is 120/hour and three man 150.00/hr.
  4. ooo

ooo LawnSite Member

Two weeks for the machine work, mulching, seeding etc. There are areas by patios and below walls that will need handwork, areas between walks and house that are too small for machine. The soil piles are probably 20 feet high X 20 feet wide X 30 foot long. They are overgrown in weeds and have been like this for a few years.
  5. ooo

ooo LawnSite Member

Here is a very rough drawing of property, everything in white are grading areas. The drawing isnt to scale in any way: