Lawn Install in Heat?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mklawnman, Jun 22, 2003.

1. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

Gotta quick question about putting a lawn in when its 80+ degrees out. Gotta get 80yds of topsoil delivered for the lawn then spread it out and lay 1,400sq ft of sod in the front lawn, the rest gets seed and speedy mulch over the top of the rest of the lawn. Now I know putting it in won't be a problem but will the seed eventually grow even if its put in under alot of heat? I mean once the water gets on it, early morning or evening time, I think it should be ok cause it will get the sunlight big time and the water, just might take a bit more water with the higher temps.
    I know the worst thing could happen is the sod would go dry so Ill make sure to tell the owners to water it fairly well so it gets enough for a long day so it doesnt burn out.
    THe homeowner asked me if it was going to be too hot to put it in and I told them that it won't be too bad as long as the sod gets a good soaking and the rest of the lawn gets watered as well.
    I just wanted to make sure that its going to be ok.
  2. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Gets done here every day in 90-100+ degrees. Water, water, and more water.
  3. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Sure you can lay sod in the heat. Be sure that your getting freshly cut sod. When I ask for a first thing in the morning delivery it is cut the night before. If I know we have a bunch of prep work still to do I'll order for around noon's then cut that morning. Alway get it layed/cut in as soon as possible and never leave it still on the pallets overnight. We'll bring in another crew/work late if need be to get it finished and watererd the same day.
  4. Strawbridge Lawn

Strawbridge Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the posts.. Have a 13K sqr ft job later this week once a 1"compost base is blown in over the existing sand/**** soil.
    Irrigation isin place so I feel more at ease now.
  5. blafleur

blafleur LawnSite Member

We lay it all summer here when the ground is too hot to walk barefoot on (100+). It needs to be watered immediately after laying, and regularly until established, and like Kris said, it needs to be fresh.

This is somewhat of a theory, but I think sod that does poorly is more often from being too long on the pallet than underwatered. As soon as sod is stacked on the pallet it begins to warm in the center eventually to very hot temperatures, basically cooking the middle.

When I worked for a sod retailer, another employee sodded his whole yard with St. Augustine pieces scattered around the yard at the end of the day. These pieces had been on pavement all day in 90-100+ temps and were completely dried out and hard. I'm sure not all pieces survived, but most did. The grass stems and leaves seem to die well before the roots do.

6. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

True, we do it here too, same temps, but realize its warm season grasses. I'm sure he is talking about cool season grass. Fescue or blue.
  7. Mgardner

Mgardner LawnSite Member

Same here, threw the extras out on bare,hard dirt at home and they all made it in hot weather. Like we say, water it the first time until it`s skwishy.
  8. Mike Bradbury

Mike Bradbury LawnSite Senior Member

His question was about the seed not the sod.
    The seed will pop right up in the heat ASSUMING they keep it wet (big assumption).
    Make sure they understand 30 days of water to sprout the seed and THEN they'll have to water it all summer to keep that tender new growth alive in the heat. MAKE SURE they understand that! :blob3:
  9. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm like some of you. I like my sod delivered by noon. Prep is always ready by then.

Also, I water the ground before placing a roll. Watering 30 sq. ft. of soil at a time. That's to get moisture under the rootzone.

On the first post, you said "80 yds." of soil. You must be laying a nice thick layer - maybe 7" worth.

I'll lay sod on days of 90 degree afternoons. I try to bail out early when it gets over 94 here on any project.
  10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

we install sod in scorching heat, havnt lost a piece yet. but the seed, i wouldnt do.