Lawn Install that search has not answered

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Markf, May 22, 2005.

1. Markf

Markf LawnSite Senior Member

I did a search but have not been able to come up with the exact answer I am looking for. We have a chance to bid on a new lawn (3500-4000 sq. ft.) The lawn is located by the road side and each side of the driveway. The house is located in Connecticut near Long Island Sound. The present condition of the area: it is level, there are very few weeds, no grass (basically what was left by the builder) and no large rocks showing. There will only be two people working on this job. As previously mentioned, roto-tilling may take too long, therefore, renting a skid steerer is not a problem, but with types of attachments? However, I do not have a tractor to pull a rake. Would raking this amount of area by hand take too long? Also, how much top soil would you bring in to improve the soil condition? How much seedless hay would be required? By the way, what is Penn Mulch?
    In advance, thank you for your contributions.
    Mark :waving:
  2. Dstosh

Dstosh LawnSite Senior Member

Rent a harley rake, do a few passes, and then rake it out by hand, Read how much seed the bag covers on the bag, or ask where you bought it and buy as many as it takes.
  3. landscapingpoolguy

landscapingpoolguy LawnSite Senior Member

rent a skid with a harley rake or a tractor with a york rake. rake it out a few times. pull some weeds. use a high quailty seed and penn mulch(basically plant fertiliazer/mulch that discintigrates). Sounds like a half day job to me.

4. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Just FYI.I rototilled 3600 sq ft yesterday in 2 hours,using a rear tine tiller.Raked it level by hand in 45 minutes.I can't see bringing in a skid with a harley rake for only such a small area.In 3 hours you'll pocket more profit,cost less for the customer,and no rental fees.This lawn,btw,had kentucky 31 in patches,so it wasn't as easy as the one you're describing.I was prepping it for sod and since it was all weed and a few patches of K31,tilling was the best option.
  5. Markf

Markf LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the replies. NickN, if you don't mind me asking, how much did you charge for that job? Did you have to bring in top soil? Did you use hay or Penn mulch?
    Thank you.
  6. rick2752

rick2752 LawnSite Member

Use a slice seeder!
  7. NickN

from Alabama

I charged them 2 Michelob Lights.It was Sunday and at my folks house.Honestly,I don't see more than $125 for that alone.2 hours,45mins,not including drive time and only a tiller and rake.BUT I didn't add topsoil.Didn't need it.
    I'm breaking the soil to compact it for new sod.In order to keep the grade the same as the existing lawn,this is the best way to do it,IMHO.Especially since it was weed infested and a sod cutter wouldn't work.After killing the weeds,dirt is all that's left.
    If you're seeding,I agree with Rick.
  8. The Good Earth

The Good Earth LawnSite Member

$62.50 for each Michelob Light? We don't even pay that at Murifield Village Country Club. I would nver give over $45.00 for a domestic beer!! :D
  9. NickN

from Alabama

We have to import everything into Alabama,so it's not considered domestic.Hell,Michelob is like cavier here.'Cept we use bluegill eggs as our cavier.