1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lawn install

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by bastalker, Aug 9, 2003.

1. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

Had a potential customer call me for a quote. I guess from what he told me, he spent a lot of money and time on his back yard to make it look like the pics..

Needless to say he gave up, and wants me to do it for him. I sub a grader for $200

3 men 8 hours to roll, rake, seed, an straw $1200

$300 for misc. materials total $1700

Hows the price look?

Might have to bring in top soil, but will try to grade it without first without doing that. He really doesn't have anywhere to get a big truck in for 15-20 yards at a time. Will have to bring in 7 yards at a time. The top soil thing came up since he has mulch chips everywhere for some reason mixed in with the existing soil. Is this really a problem? Can I just grade it and leaves the chips?

2. bastalker

another view

3. bastalker

next one

4. Green in Idaho

Green in Idaho LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

what about all thosse rocks piled next to deck?
  5. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Wood chips can pose a potential problem. How thick?
  6. bastalker

Green, He doesn't want to do anything about the rocks. Just gonna leave em there.

Glan, the wood chips aren't thick at all. You can see them throughout the soil though. Looks like he had a little mulch bed somewhere and decided to try an grade them in:rolleyes:
  7. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

what a mess.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

have him sign a contract that is detailed as to what u are going to do and get a deposit
  9. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

Bastalker, whatever you end up doing, WAIT!!! for this rain to end. you'll spend 3x your time just getting material in, spread and graded when its a giant mudhole. I also agree with the contract and deposit thing, (I'm stepping on the line here when i say...) it looks like one of my ex customers, new construction with lots of un-finished projects. The guy was in debt & had unpaid bills with every contractor that worked there. I had to get paid through his wife for 5 weeks of mowing @ $100 a pop. She said "don't tell him i paid you".

I realize thats more than likely not the case, but just gives you an idea that it does happen.
  10. GLAN

GLAN Banned

chips won't be a big problem. Just a few mushrooms.

Would spread some soil over the top.