lawn install ?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by fblandscape, Sep 9, 2003.

1. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

How do you install a lawn from scratch when you have to do the grading yourself? I was helping out a good friend today and we got into a bit of a fight because I wasn't doing something right and he said I messed something very simple up. He was doing the finish grading with a probably 50,000 lb excavator by digging soil out of one area and placing it on top of another area. The soil was unscreened and contained LOTS of rocks. He told me to pick the rocks out with a shovel and toss them towards the machine. So I started picking out the rocks and it took me quite some time to do a very small area. I know I wasn't working as fast as I should have been, but never the less. He was going to run his harley rake over the area afterwards to prep for seeding. When we got into the arguement he showed me what he wanted and that was just for me to skim random rocks off of the soil surface. Nothing big. I had been digging a bit because I found rocks all over the place. Who's way is the right way?

2. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Personally if i was using a harley rake for the final grading i wouldnt remove any rocks until after i went over the lawn good except for the large rocks you see which wont get covered up. Thats the point of a harley rake, save time by not having to pick up every rock.

3. GLAN

GLAN Banned

I don't know why an excavator was needed?