Lawn Installation.. Too High?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Slcareco, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Slcareco

Slcareco LawnSite Senior Member

I have a job to install sod for 3000 sqft lawn and tell me if my pricings wrong:

$0.43/sq ft = 1290 (I get it for .30 so 900) - 900 = $390 (profit)
    +$75.00 tiller rental
    +$50.00 roller rental
    +$15.00 pH test

= $1430.00-$390.00(profit) = $1040.00 (in reality what there paying)

Am I too high too low? Should I charge just .43 for the whole job and let it include the rental fees and stuff? Let me know Thanks!

2. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

Not sure about the cost of the sod, but in your price there is no mention of labor to install this sod. Your $390.00 profit suddenly becomes something else and you aren't making any money. Also, is the rental cost of the tiller and roller what you are paying? You might consider charging for pick-up and return of the equipment also.

Might look at this project again.

Jerry

3. Slcareco

Slcareco LawnSite Senior Member

well it seems people include the labor with doubling the price of the sod, now idk if my total is a lil too high or what? how would i go about charging for labor and adding that in? on top of the $1430 add and hourly rate? which should be what? And yes thats what i would pay and they deliver the equipment as well

4. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I wouldn't want to rototill 3000sqft of lawn..I would skip the tiller and roller rental , and spend a little more and get a Bobcat MT52 or DitchWitch SK 500 and 4' Harley Rake. Around here the 125.00 for your equipment listed will get you a rental of either with a bucket for 125.00..Harley Rake is 110.00 extra per day.Guess you may need that roller after all to roll out the sod. The machine would come in handy moving the sod around as well. I don't do sod(HYDROSEEDING), so I am not too familiar with pricing, but your re-sell seems low, especially with no labor listed( at least 3/4-1 day for 2 men). You aren't going to need any extra topsoil?? What about fertilizer? I always include a follow up visit in my pricing as well, usually in a week to ten days after the install.

5. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

$390 isn't enough profit margin for me. That's only 27% profit which is low to me. I try to make between 40-50% on all of my jobs. than again I am unaware of your costs. I would look over it again. I also agree with impact landscaping because once you're done laying the sod and rolling it, you have to fill in the cracks between each piece and then fertilize. Are you also taking into play the transportation costs of sod. Do you have to pick it up or is it delievered. I would shoot for installing it for $1 a sq. ft. That is what I install it for.

6. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

I figure double the cost per pallet to install and any rental equipment will be extra

7. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

first, take your $390 "profit" (wrong term to use, btw) and divide it by the number of hours you think it will take you to go start to finish, including equipment transit times. after you've picked yourself up off the floor, figure out the per foot installation labor rate you would like.

if you need an idea of what the market rate is, call your local turf farms and see what they charge per foot installed, including soil prep. that should be no problem to get over the phone.

tony

8. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Too low.. I would ask around $2500.00 for that size job. No tilling.. just bring in necessary topsoil and lay sod.

9. lawncat

lawncat LawnSite Member

For this kind of work, most professionals already have basic tools like tillers and rollers, and in a way it's not the clients fault that you do not own these basic tools and have to rent them.

Prep the area as if you were going to seed it! If pricing with the client is touchy, don't talk about topsoil and tilling and so forth! A pulverizer on a small tractor would do this prep fairly quick unless there peculiar site problems.

Up N here, most landscapers aim for $6.00 per sq yard, delivered and installed. Our costs are 1.50 to 1.85 per yard.
    Charge for additional crew time if there is a lot of prep to do, but if the rough grade is right you should have no problem.

If your prep is finished and the sod farm has room to move the skids for you-figure on 1 1/2 m/hours per skid. 3000 feet = 333 yds=5 1/2 skids==almost 9 manhours. 45 hr labor x 9 = 270.00 + (example) 3 m hrs prep = 135 + 270=420.00 labor costs + (up here sod cost) 333x1.75=582.75 = 1002.75 direct costs plus your fixed overhead (trucks, etc)

333 X 6.00=1,998 less fixed costs of 1,002.75= gross profit of around 995.!

Of course, add in a lot more if the client wants more work or materials.

Not bad for a small yard!

10. treedoc1

treedoc1 LawnSite Senior Member

$6.00 a yard simple installation here in Northern VA

Rototilling would be an extra prep charge as would the cleanup from the builders debris