Lawn Installation

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by joeycats, Feb 9, 2005.

1. joeycats

joeycats LawnSite Member

I have a customer who will need a new lawn put in this spring. What should I charge per square foot? How do I estimate the job?
  2. Clear View Landscapes

Clear View Landscapes LawnSite Member

Your reply is highly dependant upon what type of lawn they want. Are they requesting sod, hydro-seeding, simple plant and straw, seed/ wheat? You need to figure your cost on the ever-important $/MSF (cost per thousand square feet) New lawns (depending on what turf type) usually require 8-12 lbs. per sq. ft. (again, thats variable.) The label on the seed bag will tell you exactly, and what the coverage is per bag. Figure out your total costs multiply that by at least 2.5 (depending on your area and your labor costs).
  3. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

WHAT!? Let me get this straight. You are telling him that he needs to put down 12 POUNDS of grass seed in a 12 inch by 12 inch spot!??? :dizzy:

You shouldn't give advise if you don't know what you are doing.
  4. Clear View Landscapes

Clear View Landscapes LawnSite Member

Sorry Mr. Catania,

Make that per thousand sq. ft.

Thanks Mike, for you insightful way of correcting me... your contribution to this discussion has been well appreciated... I think

Clear View Landscapes
  5. joeycats

joeycats LawnSite Member

Craig thanks for your input! This is a new house and the yard is a mess. There is currently no grass at all. My thinking was that put down a layer of fresh top-soil maybe 2" thick then seed and straw the yard.

My cost for the seed is $87/bag of premium blend of four grasses.

My cost for premium screened topsoil is $25yd.

Craig what is the 2.5 for that you want me to multiply everything by? Thanks, Joe
  6. joeycats

joeycats LawnSite Member

So what would you guys charge per square foot???
  7. joeycats

joeycats LawnSite Member

:cool2: SNOW!!!
  8. Patrick.B

Patrick.B LawnSite Senior Member

i know some of you guys will laught at me but i'm not into landscaping ..i just cut lawn and clean up anyway what straw is ? :D
  9. lawnboy33

lawnboy33 LawnSite Member

Wow you guys are idiots! You should learn about the business before starting one. What is straw? Wow go wash cars or something..
  10. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

lots of nice guys... let me tell you... everybody is an expert... sounds like you are on the right track though bud