Lawn is dying, the ground is too hard and dry, Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by DVR, Jul 10, 2008.

1. DVR

DVR LawnSite Member

My lawn is dying and the ground is apparently too hard and dry. Whenever watered, the water remains on top of the grass, causing partial flooding.

There has been somewhat a large amount of moss growth due to this.

Any help would be much appreciated, also any tools in the industry that you could recommend to help me.

Many thanks

2. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

Without getting into mechanical changes (aeration, slicing, ....) one thing you can try is a soil conditioner. Some people call this a water wetter, because it acts to allow water to penetrate the soil more easily. The other thing you can do, if its feasible in your area, is to water the lawn occasonally during long dry spells.
    Some of the causes of an impenetrable surface are dry compacted soil, especially clay, a heavy layer of thatch, or a perched water table oftentimes caused by 2 incompatible types of soil, one layed directly over top of the other.
  3. Newt*

Newt* LawnSite Member

DVR, I would suggest you core aerate in the fall, topdress with 1/4" to 1/8" of compost and reseed. You might even need to add lime if you have alot of moss. Moss will grow where the conditions make it happy - compacted soil, shade, moisture and high acid soil. Not sure if you can rent a core aerator where you are, but I'm sure they do rent them in the UK. Here's some helpful sites.

4. Mic_bug

Mic_bug LawnSite Member
    from N.B. MI

aerate as mentioned to start
  5. phlandscaping

phlandscaping LawnSite Member

Aerating would def. be my first step! Aerate and overseed in the fall. This should make a big impact on the lawn! Good Luck
  6. jdmcat

jdmcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

Aerate! X4
  7. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Thin or remove some of your trees/ moss will grow where it can, not where it can't.