Lawn is laying down

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by crc13, Aug 10, 2006.

1. crc13

crc13 LawnSite Member
    from 54313

Here is a unique problem. My kids have toys that they drive on the lawn. How do I get it to stand back up? I just mowed it and it is still laying down, when I rake it, it stands up for a while. I am lost here?

2. DodgeTruckMan731

DodgeTruckMan731 LawnSite Senior Member

well you might be watering too much, do you have any pictures of your lawn?

3. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

It's not a unique problem. It is quite common. Solution?? - increase your potash.

4. crc13

crc13 LawnSite Member
    from 54313

Here is a picture of what it looks like. What is potash and how do I increase it?

IMG_5842.JPG

5. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

use a commercial mower with higher blade tip speed...and make them keep crap off the lawn..

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

shoot it is some chem contained in fertilizer, the third number I think, wait...
    The first number is Nitrogen, which promotes overall grass shoot growth

The second number is Phosphorous, which promotes strong root growth

The third number is Potassium, which helps grass withstand stress, for example, drought or disease

Yup, potassium = potash, basically... So some kind of fertilizer along the lines of 8-10-40 or whatever, something with a higher than usual third number and low first and middle digits.

Thou personally I wouldn't be afraid of shooting for a high middle digit either, but by that time you done got yourself into some expensive bs so I'd just wait until september and throw down a bunch of 10-10-10 and some lime to give it even more juice and be done with it.

7. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

That grass looks very dry. It may be a case of lack of water. When I have client that never water their lawns and we have no rain for a while my foot prints show up in the grass like that.

8. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

9. crc13

crc13 LawnSite Member
    from 54313

I have been watering quite often, every other day or so, do I doubt it is dry. I have no idea what kind of grass it is, I had it hydroseeded years ago. I can check my blades? Any other suggestions? I put on Scotts fertilizer about weeks ago.

10. crc13

crc13 LawnSite Member
    from 54313

I just sharpened my blades and lowered my mower to 2.5 inches, and it still is laying down. How do I get my grass to stand up??? Is it lacking potash like someone said? I fertilized 3 weeks ago with scotts, should I do something else??? Now???