Lawn job

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tez34, Jan 31, 2005.

1. tez34

tez34 LawnSite Member

Any tips or tricks to repair lawn jobs. One of my lawns had a truck drive through their front yard leaving about 3" ruts for about 20'. Need some help to fix the problem so they don't call anybody else.
    Thanks for any advice. Chris

2. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

O.K. Chris, I see your thread is languishing here a little bit so I will try to help. If the customer is in no big hurry and even if they are there is no sense in trying to make this repair before early spring in my opinion. If you disturb the soil even more than it has been, the likely result will be excessive erosion.

In early spring, knock the tops of the ridges off to level the area in question.

If needed, which I think you will, add topsoil to the low areas, reseed and add starter fertilizer.

Depending on a lot of variables, this could be an area that may need more attention in the fall. I sure others here have differing opinions.

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Our commericial properties have a lot of ruts...take a pick and pull the soil and sod back up. Take a tamper and push the ridge down. It needs to be wet to do this. Usually you can almost make the rut disapper...maybe have a few bags of good soil to make it look pretty. Works with carpet/burmuda grass.

4. ince8728

ince8728 LawnSite Member

knock down rut, level, top soil, seed, starter fert, water, grass in 2-4 weeks depending on how much water it gets.