Lawn & Landscape article

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Green Sweep, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Green Sweep

Green Sweep LawnSite Senior Member

Just read the new April issue of Lawn & Landscape magazine. There is a great article on servicing sprinkler systems. A part of the article quotes Jim Lewis of Lewis Landscape Services in Oregon on pricing, servicing, etc. I have to assume that this is the same Jim Lewis that posted pics of his new service van on this forum a few weeks back. Jim stated that he offers a 5 year warranty on new installs provided that the clients allow him to start up & winterize the system during that time. I think that is brilliant & may follow suit. Customers love longer warranty's & your locking in the work for 5 years! We currently have a 1 year warranty & I think that offering 5 with that stipulation will also make our initial bids more attractive.

Rob

2. telcomac

telcomac LawnSite Member

Two year warranty works for us. Keeps other hands out of your work, and builds customer confidence. Then they are ready and willing to have you maintain the system for a fee. For me five years seems a bit long to wait considering the cost involved in rolling a truck and manpower to service systems. Just my thoughts!:drinkup:

3. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

i issue a 2 year warranty. its not too often that i have warranty issues.

NOW, the first WINTERIZATION is free and i begin to CHARGE for maintainance the following Spring...

4. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I haven't even opened the April issue yet but that's pretty cool Jim.

I do the same deal for two years... I really don't have a problem putting a guarantee on the labor as you do the shutdown and startups since nothing ever goes wrong with a new install unless a lawn mower or plow gets a head.

and if a valve goes bad or a rotor stops moving and it's still under the manufacturer's warranty I'll give the parts for free (i'm returning it anyway) and just charge for labor

I wanted to do the same deal for five years but couldn't find enough parts that carry a five year warranty

5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I haven't gotten my april one yet.

They usually sit in my bathroom unopened until I get bored.

6. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

OR... Until you run out of toilet paper??? :laugh:

7. FEELIN' DUCKY IN PA

FEELIN' DUCKY IN PA LawnSite Member

can't wait until urs comes in to see that article. if it's the same lewis i've also seen his comments on here and his website is very professional.

8. DarkLotus

DarkLotus LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I offered a 5 year warranty on materials and labor and lifetime warranty on the pipe if we winterize every year. If the install is near the fall, we winterize for free.... Works like a charm!!!

9. justgeorge

justgeorge LawnSite Senior Member

I use Hunter products that all have 5 year warranties on them (although I never have found what the Pro-C warranty is). I-20 rotors, Institutional Spray, PGV valves, wireless rain sensor. Last year, my first in business, I offered 3 years on the whole system then 2 more years parts only. This year I've dropped it to 2 years. I do the blowouts during the warranty period (which I price into the install bid). I've closed over 50% of my bids; not bad for a new guy.

10. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Pro C warranty is only 2 years