Lawn & Landscape mag. Pro Magazine

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AVRECON, Aug 22, 2001.

AVRECON LawnSite Senior Member

I've been receiving 3 or 4 of these publications for quite awhile. They always have these lco's making million+. My question is do we have any millionaires posting here? I personally don't know anyone making that kind of $, do you? These cats are always dressed in suits or nice CLEAN clothes. How many of you are THEM? You know, ride around in your air condition truck checking on your crews and pricing jobs, not doing the dirty work? Not me and not many folks that I know in this biz.
  2. Indiana

Indiana LawnSite Member

I have wondered the same thing. How does a guy turn over a million in mowing and maintenance?

I bust my rear and bearly break 80K gross. What am I doing wrong?

I suspect your market has alot to do with it but 1,000,000 in gross sales would be hard to achieve even with crews, more trucks, and equipment.

I am so dirty and nasty by the time I get home, I probably wouldn't even look like a crew member much less the owner. My wife says I can't stay clean five minutes. Bad thing is she's right.

I love to work, mow, and make money. I would love being a millionaire, but I would still work. Of course, the low end residential customers would not be getting my services. I would do serious customer weeding.
  3. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

That kind of money would be nice, is that 1 million profit after truck payments,taxes,wages etc,etc. Oh well back to dreamland.:D
  4. It is possable. i have done it. But you can't do it with ameriacan labor. (not going to get in that arguement)

I have seen the guys doing 5 million + in revinue. but your not going to do it on low income res. or low paying comm.

That is the high end market with thousands of hour spent selling and making sure you get the accounts you bid on.

Example: you bid on 20 million dollars worth of account at a fair market rate how many will you close on. Maby 1 million. but you will have to have the labor to go in and do the work expected of you in a very time orrented fasion. If not they will say bye real fast.

What those guys say is true but it takes time and not riding around in the truck mowing. That's impossable, I know from experiance.

I could go one for a long time on this one but I'm not going to

5. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

i have a competeor near me in one of the larger towns in n.c. and he does about 3.8 millon in gross sales a year he has 100 full time employees ( 4 full time mechanics) he is into strictly maintance no heavy landscaping etc.
  6. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i of course am not the millionare in the magazine, but one person featured in one of the publications was. it was actually lori speigleman landscaping from CT. i think she was making a large amount for her small business. she got into the top ten i think. so if she can do it here, i guess its feasible for somebody else.
  7. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

I think its possible. The key is setting up the right sytems, for which you are merely the director, not the mule. Nonetheless 1 million in gross sales is impressive, but lets remember gross income and net income are two totally different animals.
  8. Yes that is right. If you are grossing over 1 mill a year doesn't mean netting a mill.

This year I had to cut back fast and not look back. Money and Labor was a big key issue, but there were various other things. Never the less it can be done and done well.

9. gross 250K and net out 20% with a lot less hassle???

It can be done quite easily.
  10. Yep me to

I'm back to the old $200,000 + a year gross but I miss not having to get up every morning and not have to get dirty all the time. I wish I could have subbed it all out but would miss mowing. i've gotten a few big breaks over the years and used them well, but you can't rely on American employees to keep you going.