Lawn leveling cost.

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by gulfjoe, Feb 12, 2012.

1. gulfjoe

gulfjoe LawnSite Bronze Member

What is an average price that you guys would charge to level a lawn 6500 sqft? I just purchased a new home in December and they did a pretty poor job installing the sod and with all the walking in the yard it has left it pretty bumpy. I am going to be using a McClane reel mower so i dont want to be scalping the yard every time I hit a bump. If you need more info just let me know.

2. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Pictures :waving:

3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't try to do it all at once.

If there is a possibility of adding a thin layer that settles into the 'valleys' w/out disturbing the sod; I would add a sandy compost mix. This will in fact enhance the growth in those valleys and give the 'crown' a season to adjust.
    Then next year or even this Fall, do it all again.

Otherwise, you can lift the sod in bad areas, level/settle the soil to what is required, then replace the sod. Do it early, b4 the heat comes.

These would be the 2, cheapest and healthiest methods of renovating the lawn, for smoothness. :)

4. gulfjoe

5. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

I would almost junk out all the sod and level it real nice and seed it instead of sodding.

6. gulfjoe

7. SullysAllSeasons

SullysAllSeasons LawnSite Member

I would get ahold of whomever did the grade/sod work and have them come fix their mess...that looks like more than just being walked on, more like shotty work

8. gulfjoe

the ground is still soft. I sink when i walk in some parts of the yard.

9. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

I second that. No landscaper in my parts could get away with such a poor install. The fact that the OP sinks when he walks on the lawn tells me that the ground was not rolled and graded properly prior to the sod being put down. The installer threw down the grass on ground that was not leveled properly. Get that turkey back there and make him do the job right.

10. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

u will never mow that with a reel mower
    tear it out and start over