Lawn leveling cost.

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by gulfjoe, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

2 months w/out settling into the soil would be disaster for cool season grasses, especially going through this winter drought and the constant freeze/thaw cycle.

Is your sod going to be OK? Is this a normal practice for the Southern Grasses?

2. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Actually it is. Happens all the time. Especially when it isnt irrigated properly after install. The wide gaps tell me it dried out and shrank. Now it's likely dormant. I agree with rolling up a section at a time and correcting whats underneath. Builders around here are famous for stripping off the topsoil for sale and slapping down the sod hoping it stays green until they clear the site. Latest trick is St Augustine to the front edge, then Bahia to the backyard. Builders will always take shortcuts and are not likely to come back for any problems.:usflag:

3. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Dormant laid Bermuda is not the best option, it has too many chances to get messed up prior to rooting...people do it all the time, but anytime you have a choice it's obviously better to do it during the warmer months.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. gulfjoe

gulfjoe LawnSite Bronze Member

cgaengineer,

Check your private messages please.

5. Smallaxe

Up here in the frozen tundra I had some Poa Supina germinate inside the sun porch last summer, from rinsing out some pails. Because, we have had a mild winter the supina is still green, though not actively growing per se...

This foundation bed inside the sun porch continues to dry up and the roots of the perennials will surely suffer as a result... I continue to water the supina with everything else to help keep it alive through dormancy...

Winterkill is almost always due to dessication of the plant-life.. So, what you are saying about the Southern Sods, makes perfect sense...

Do Southern Pros concur???

6. Smallaxe

PatriotServices, is in FL, not NE Patiots., so you are a Southern Pro, aren't you... :)

7. Patriot Services

That would be correct, but I don't like to boast. I have nothing against the Pats either.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. gulfjoe

The gaps in the sod are just from the poor install. The yard has been properly irrigated ever since the install. We have had a good rain once a week since the install. I actually think I have drainage issues where some parts of the grass stay wet longer than other parts for about a length of 2 days. I am not sure what to do about that.

9. Patriot Services

That's a real bad install. You can't fix this from the top down in my opinion. Take advantage of the sod not taking root yet to fix the problem.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. gulfjoe

I have the builder coming by today, already does not sound like it going to go well after this phone call. I will post what he says and what they are willing to do.