Lawn looks awful up close

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by Frogballs, Jul 1, 2012.

1. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

You need to do an audit of the system and see how much water you are putting down. You might not be putting down enough and watering too shallow.

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Nitrogen encourages brown patch--or so I am told (and especially on tall fescue). Nitrogen reduces red thread. Warm humid nights cause almost any disease fungus to spread. Temp and humidity totalling 150 or more is a big danger sign.

3. Dbry12

Dbry12 LawnSite Member

You can try a cycle and soak program when weatering. Run each zone for 20 minutes and once that cycles run it again, each zone for 20 min. It lets the water soak in completely.

4. Frogballs

Frogballs LawnSite Member

I tried that approach and had two lawn guys stop by. They both feel fungus. I am so torn because I want to start an organic program but the fungicides kill the effort.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

There are various organic sprays that enrich the soil and outcompete the pathogenic fungi that you might look into and even cornmeal as a fertilizer helps combat fungal diseases... A couple of lawn guys 'feel fungus' doesn't mean anything, and fungicides never are worth the trouble becuz they are not going to cure anything...

6. Grasssales2001

Grasssales2001 LawnSite Member

What kind of fungus did the lawn guys feel it was?

7. Frogballs

I don't know what he felt it was. I spoke to a company here who has been successful in organic remediation with liquids. I used 2 of their products, one is Revive and the other is VSC both by a company called Quantum. I sprayed just the front yard as a test bed. I wish they would have more samples out there because I would love to segment the back yard and try different products to test. I saw a post here of a product made by, I think the company is VLC? The owner/ Rep never replied to any posts so I didn't bother calling them. I am also lost to researching of Merit destroys the beneficials in the product I applied. I know fungicides do.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Take a look at Dupont Acelepryn. Works nice for grubs, but is low in toxicity

9. Frogballs

I'm on it in the morning. I starting to feel like a hippy with organics. Can't I spread some thc on the lawn and make it happy?
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

That is always the hope... and that is what keeps everyone in sales working...
    it's called,,, treating the symptoms

fixing the problem takes thought and patience,,, but establishes a healthy turf that doesn't get fungal infections...

like athletes foot... buy the cream or wash your feet and let them breathe... :)